Just got my saddlebags bag and LEDs installed! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Just got my saddlebags bag and LEDs installed!

My saddle-weary saddlebags are back from the shop with all the chips and cracks repaired and a beautiful new paint job applied and shining like a mirror! Spent a couple of evenings installing the new LED lights and we're good to go!

Here's the bike without brakes applied... so I have amber LEDs as running lights on the bags (they don't work as turn signal lights, I didn't want to deal with the rapid blinking issue... yet).

And here is with brakes applied:

Another angle:

Next up, need to figure out how I'm going to install some saddlebag protection bars. These are 1976 Panhead bags customized to fit on my vstar.

Thanks for looking!

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 02:48 PM

Garage
Looks good Dan. Check up on the amber lights in the back. If you're going to use them as running lights, they need to be red and not amber. I had to change my flasher covers to red when I installed my triple whammy.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
Looks good Dan. Check up on the amber lights in the back. If you're going to use them as running lights, they need to be red and not amber. I had to change my flasher covers to red when I installed my triple whammy.
No kidding?? Where/who did they tell you, when you got the inspection done? I asked around and was told amber running lights were fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

What's funny is according to the Quebec vehicle modifications guide at http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/publicati...ng_driving.pdf changing lens colors is against transport law lol!

Also found this, but no mention about amber lights on the back:

Quote:
Now we will discuss the prohibited and restricted lights. Lights are prohibited or restricted based on their combination and/or the direction they are visible from. Flashing red lights, visible from any direction on a vehicle, are restricted to law enforcement vehicles only. This restriction does not include four way flashers or tapping the brake pedal to produce an on and off effect with the brake lights. In addition to this, red lights and red and blue combinations of lights to the front are also restricted to law enforcement vehicles. Flashing blue lights are restricted to police vehicles and snow removal vehicles, but only while they are actually engaged in the removal of snow (or de-icing, etc). Flashing green lights are restricted to volunteer fire fighters.

The Highway Traffic Act says nothing specific about under carriage neon lighting, nor about any other specific colours than those mentioned above, so, as long as they conform to the above specifications, they should, in theory, be permitted. One thing to be aware of with respect to under carriage lighting is that a red light may cast a glow around the vehicle that is visible from the front of the vehicle, even though the light is not specifically positioned on the front of the vehicle.

Last edited by DanR; 02-17-2015 at 03:45 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 06:25 PM

Garage
Dan, the new setup looks great, and you should be well seen.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 11:48 AM
Lifetime Premium

Man those really look great. I thought about a similar looking set of bags for my 650 (when I was thinking of keeping it) although, cheap china knockoffs.

As for the the guards, probably something I would have bought and pre-drilled and fabbed before paint. But hindsight Unless they attach to the fender/frame and not touch the bags at all. I guess there are all sorts of different kinds.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Schaefer Pants View Post
Man those really look great. I thought about a similar looking set of bags for my 650 (when I was thinking of keeping it) although, cheap china knockoffs.

As for the the guards, probably something I would have bought and pre-drilled and fabbed before paint. But hindsight Unless they attach to the fender/frame and not touch the bags at all. I guess there are all sorts of different kinds.
Well thank you kind sir

And yeah, the saddlebag rails should not touch the bags as any impact or rub can damage the bags so they need to connect to the frame. I'll working something out eventually hehehe
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 12:39 PM

Awesome Look! I am doing Hard saddle bags and LED Brake lights on my 650 too....

also going to replace stock bulbs w/LED's at some point.....

Looks good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode