V-Star 650, that black cable bracket with new handlebars - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

V-Star 650, that black cable bracket with new handlebars

I'm putting new handlebars on my bike. They are Wild 1 Chubbies double T drag bars.

With the black bracket in place, it looks like the brake line is not going to reach. It might be fine if I cut cut off the loop for the brake line, but keep the routing the same. If I re-routed the brake line to the other side of the forks it should definitely be plenty long enough.

How many of you completely do away with the black cable routing bracket when you replace the handlebars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 11:38 AM
Lifetime Premium

You're talking about cutting off the black metal cable loop/bracket that keeps the cables conforming to the frame/handlebars?

I wouldn't, I'd suck it up and get new appropriate length cables. You could shop around for the length you need pre-made and find a reasonable price. Or buy a generic length, and cut and trim to fit for much cheaper.

First thing first, remove the cable from the bracket if you need to, run it and connect it. And twist your bars to the full left/right extreme. See what happens, how short you are, where the cable flexes and moves to.

IMO, I don't see the point in paying money on the main goody, and skimping on the small details. Just one of those things, like do it right, or don't do it at all kinda deal. Just my humble opinion It'd kinda be like buying a $500 set of bags and attaching them with sheet metal screws.

Last edited by Mr Schaefer Pants; 02-18-2015 at 11:41 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Can you actually buy a plain black brake line that is slightly longer? The only ones I can find sold individually are Stainless Steel.

A matching set of stainless steel cables is going to be about $275.

The only set of black ones I can find are like $375.

Update: I now found Goodridge, which sells a black brake line in all different lengths and all different fittings to make your own. This could be an option.

Last edited by Kyle76; 02-18-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode