Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

V-Star 650, that black cable bracket with new handlebars

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Kyle76 
#1 ·
I'm putting new handlebars on my bike. They are Wild 1 Chubbies double T drag bars.

With the black bracket in place, it looks like the brake line is not going to reach. It might be fine if I cut cut off the loop for the brake line, but keep the routing the same. If I re-routed the brake line to the other side of the forks it should definitely be plenty long enough.

How many of you completely do away with the black cable routing bracket when you replace the handlebars?

#2 · (Edited)
You're talking about cutting off the black metal cable loop/bracket that keeps the cables conforming to the frame/handlebars?

I wouldn't, I'd suck it up and get new appropriate length cables. You could shop around for the length you need pre-made and find a reasonable price. Or buy a generic length, and cut and trim to fit for much cheaper.

First thing first, remove the cable from the bracket if you need to, run it and connect it. And twist your bars to the full left/right extreme. See what happens, how short you are, where the cable flexes and moves to.

IMO, I don't see the point in paying money on the main goody, and skimping on the small details. Just one of those things, like do it right, or don't do it at all kinda deal. Just my humble opinion :) It'd kinda be like buying a $500 set of bags and attaching them with sheet metal screws.

#3 · (Edited)
Can you actually buy a plain black brake line that is slightly longer? The only ones I can find sold individually are Stainless Steel.

A matching set of stainless steel cables is going to be about $275.

The only set of black ones I can find are like $375.

Update: I now found Goodridge, which sells a black brake line in all different lengths and all different fittings to make your own. This could be an option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.