LED replacement for the speedometer - Testing ongoing - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb LED replacement for the speedometer - Testing ongoing

Hey guys,

I saw a great youtube video from someone that had swapped out the T10 halogen from the speedo and replaced it with a blue LED. It looked real sharp and made the numbers MUCH easier to see at night (I personally can't see them very well riding at night). So I bought a pack of T10 Wedge 5-SMD 5050 LED Light bulbs:

Don't waste your time with these... they provided less illumination than the stock halogen so this was a bust. HOWEVER, I refuse to give up that easy, so I have ordered 3 different kinds of T10 LEDs to try out and see if any of them will work better. I purchased a similar LED as above except instead of 5 SMD, it has 20. I think it might be overkill, but we'll see. I also purchased a higher powered 2 watt flat style LED and a different flat with 6SMD LEDs all on the end.

I'll update once I get these in the next 30 days or so, but for now anyone thinking of doing this very simple swap, stay away from the ones in the pic above.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 07:44 AM
Lifetime Premium

I saw those with the 5 lights and skipped over them. Couldn't justify spending that much on a tiny light bulb, ya know Plus I think I was kinda scared of it not fitting in the boot and then the housing. I chose the regular LED replacement and it worked great. I wanted blue, but at the parts store they only had regular white/yellow'ish and red. I didn't want red.

This was my 06. I was happy with it, then again, the bulb was burnt out so anything was better than no light I think it came in a two pack for like $6.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Schaefer Pants View Post
I saw those with the 5 lights and skipped over them. Couldn't justify spending that much on a tiny light bulb, ya know Plus I think I was kinda scared of it not fitting in the boot and then the housing. I chose the regular LED replacement and it worked great. I wanted blue, but at the parts store they only had regular white/yellow'ish and red. I didn't want red.

This was my 06. I was happy with it, then again, the bulb was burnt out so anything was better than no light I think it came in a two pack for like $6.
Well these were a pack of 10 shipped for $2 lol! So not really breaking the bank What do you mean by "regular LED replacement"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 10:07 AM
Lifetime Premium

lol ya prices are way better online. When I did mine it was a I wanna get it done right now thing, so I just picked up some bulbs at the store.

I mean regular 194 replacement bulbs, that are LED instead of the incandescent oem bulb. Like these:

http://www.autozone.com/electrical-a..._678833_19973/

As opposed to the 5 sided micro button leds.

Or size 74, whatever it is, I forget. But that style, basic wedge bulb connector with single glass covered LED.

Last edited by Mr Schaefer Pants; 02-23-2015 at 10:11 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Schaefer Pants View Post
lol ya prices are way better online. When I did mine it was a I wanna get it done right now thing, so I just picked up some bulbs at the store.

I mean regular 194 replacement bulbs, that are LED instead of the incandescent oem bulb. Like these:

http://www.autozone.com/electrical-a..._678833_19973/

As opposed to the 5 sided micro button leds.

Or size 74, whatever it is, I forget. But that style, basic wedge bulb connector with single glass covered LED.
Ahhh ok I see what you mean. I have something similar coming, so hopefully that works But yeah the 5 sided ones were a complete bust :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode