950T handlebar upgrade - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Slayer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
950T handlebar upgrade

Thinking about upgrading handlebars on my 2012 Vstar 950 Tourer for long distance riding. Do I install a 2 " rise first, or can someone explain all that needs to be done/ Also, what has others found work? and are happy with...If a person's height is a consideration, I am 5'9. Thanks for your help.
Ride safe~YammyV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

"needs to be done" depends on the individual's needs. do you need the grips higher? closer to you? a lot can be done by finding the right risers and not having to change out the handlebar at all. and the height of the grips can be adjusted by changing the angle of the handlebars in the risers.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Bevo, but what determines how high or close the grips should be? I have not done long distance riding at this jucture, but am looking forward to some this summer.

Do you go to a cycle shop and check out different risers that fit your bike? Sorry I am just learning and not familiar doing some changes to my bike myself. Getting advice from some of you fellas who have experienced mods gives good insight for ladies interested in the challenge doing their bike work themselves.

Appreciate the help,

YammyV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 09:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YammyV View Post
what determines how high or close the grips should be?
Its how comfy the reach is for you.

So is your ? what rise Ape hangers you should get?

I ask you this. How Tall are you?
Do you want your hands at shoulder level or above?

So let me put it to you this way. I'm 5'6. The most total rise I would go would be 12-14" apes. 14" max. I don't wanna be uncomfortable.
So then for me; I would do 2" risers and 12" apes for my height and taking into account the distance between the upper tree and the middle to the top of the tank. Pull back on the bars comes into play too.

So if your 5'8 or taller I would go 14" to 16" These numbers DONT include riser height.
Hope this helped.

OH BTW. Seat height will have an affect on the size of apes too. That is if you plan on lowering the rear only, than the rise of the apes will change too. Its like that on my bobber. My seat heat was 22" and I had 10" custom apes made for it. My back would hurt a bit because of where i wanted the bars placed for a compromise on appearance and comfort.

So I made my own spring solo seat. That raised me about 2" and now my reach is perfect. Again, I hope I'm not confusing you..lol

2013 V Star 950 XVS. Purchased 10/14/14 as a left over with 0 miles.

Last edited by NEKO; 02-24-2015 at 09:45 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 08:32 AM

Check out this site

http://cycle-ergo.com

It will allow you to tinker around with motorcycle model, handlebar metrics, rider height, seat height etc.

Riding all day on a cruiser leaned too much forward is uncomfortable as is riding straight armed all day. Straight armed will limit your control of the bike.

You will want some bend at your elbows. I can't imagine you need increased bar height but may need/want some additional pull back at 5'9" tall.

Here is a pretty good article by somebody I often take with a grain of salt but he makes some good points about riding comfort in this article.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/motorcycle_ergonomics.html
2woofs and 2woofs like this.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the responses and suggestions! Found the sites very interesting and informative, thanks "Slayer". Will continue to consider what my ride has already. Perhaps the best would be to wait until I actually experience long distance, then determine if I need to make adjustments. I have invested in Kuryaking grips and throttle boss for both hands. At this point, I intend to upgrade seat, as well.

Ride safe,
YammyV
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

you can also just sit on your bike, and then stretch out your hands to a point where you feel you would be most comfortable, and then see what the angle and distance is from that point to where your grips currently are. that may give you a starting point.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 07:56 AM
gfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by YammyV View Post
Thanks for the responses and suggestions! Found the sites very interesting and informative, thanks "Slayer". Will continue to consider what my ride has already. Perhaps the best would be to wait until I actually experience long distance, then determine if I need to make adjustments. I have invested in Kuryaking grips and throttle boss for both hands. At this point, I intend to upgrade seat, as well.

Ride safe,
YammyV
I have a new mustang seat along with a big air kit in the classifieds if you're interested
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode