650 classic? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

650 classic?

So, I've started saving up for a 650 classic vstar, but I am curious. I like the fat'n'low with full fenders look but with the discontinuation of the 650 classic I was wondering why star stopped the model. Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher1877 View Post
So, I've started saving up for a 650 classic vstar, but I am curious. I like the fat'n'low with full fenders look but with the discontinuation of the 650 classic I was wondering why star stopped the model. Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?
What do you mean discontinuation of the 650 classic? Here's the 2015:

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/...oup=MC&catId=2

Did I miss some kind of announcement that there won't be a 2016 or something?

Dan
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 02:38 PM

Garage
DanR I think the 650 classic has been dropped in the states. Your showing the Canadian website and it is still available here.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

The classic model hasn't been offered in the states for a while now. I'm actually jealous that canada still offers it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 09:39 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
The vstar 650 classic has had a great run since 1998. So with this many years under it's belt with nearly no big changes throughout the
model years it was becoming dated. With so many used bikes on the market most likely the new bike sales suffered and they pulled the plug on another new model year in the USA. If you noticed they added other models to the line up that were not around when the 650 classic
came out way back when.

I have to say the newer 950 is what the 650 always wanted to be.
fuel injected and a little more punch with some added pony's plus
not quite as smallish a stature.

So actually the Vstar 650 lives on in what's now the 950.

It all comes down to corporate numbers in terms of sales dollars.
Look for the Bolt to maybe live one or two years.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 10:33 AM

Ahhh! Sorry, I didn't realize it was nixed in the US, my bad
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 02:28 PM
Lifetime Premium

Yup, I'm sure it comes down to the almighty dollar. I would have no hesitations buying a used 650. Tons of them everywhere, for a good price, and a lot of years running production, with a lot of aftermarket support.

I only sold mine cause financially it made sense to buy a 950 that was decked out, than spending the coin on accessories. Plus 300 more CC. Otherwise it was a great scoot.

.:'09 Vstar 950T:.

VOTE for the BikeOfTheMonth It only takes a moment and you get to check out a bunch of great scoots! Participate all you rascals!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
I must agree, Many fine examples used out there for little coin.
And they are rock solid bikes for many miles when taken care of.

I had a chance before I purchased my 2000 650 classic to pick up an 03 that had been laid down. Same bike in black. Needed headlight bucket, front turn signals, new front tire, Left engine guard, Foot peg assembly. Ran fine, Asking $850. The guy sold it 2 hours before
I could go see it.

I paid $1800 for mine and it needed carb work , gas tank redo, And a complete cleaning top to bottom. Pluses were, New tires, low miles,
No damage, Pristine paint, Decent chrome, all stock, Except for cobra pipes.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode