04 V Star 650 carburetor problem - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

04 V Star 650 carburetor problem

At the moment I'm working on a 04 V Star 650 carburetors and I am having some trouble I hope you can help with.
See video
http://youtu.be/DXJAXZc5ejM
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 10:34 PM

I can tell you that my bike runs like garbage if I try to run it with the carb intake completely open. It'll be trying to die, but if I take my hand and cover the venturi, it'll start running better.

Does it run OK at idle and just run bad with throttle? How do the needles and the vacuum slides look? If you lift the slide with the engine off can you hear that it's getting good vacuum?

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Hey pangea33, I have not try it yet with the intake all the way back together. I thought of it, but I would never imaging it would run that bad without it. I am going to give it a try.

It runs fine on idle and the warmer it gets the better. If you star revving it slowly it gets pretty high but it finally gets to the point where it wants to die.

I can feel some vacuum in the slides, but I can't tell you if they are right or not. No way to compare with another carb. I will pay more attention tomorrow when I get to it before I put the intake back together.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 06:43 AM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
The intake tract on these bikes is very touchy due mostly to the EPA's
restrictions imposed on the manufacturer to reduce emissions.

So they are set up to run very lean. So removing the air box or tampering with the setup will lead to super lean conditions and a horrible running if not impossible to ride bike.

Almost ANY modification to the intake or exhaust will require rejetting.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

I will put intake back together and try...thank you! stay tune...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

We I take my hat and bow to you my friends.
Your wisdom is priceless.
After putting all the intake back together it runs like a champ.
Thank you very much to all!!!
I'll send pictures once I'm done detailing it
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 08:50 PM

Great news. Glad she's working out for you.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Some mods can be performed with out rejetting. You can drill out the stock mufflers for some sound increase. However very little if any performance gains come from this.

After market slip on style exhaust can provide small increases in performance and a much better growl. Depending on mfg some do not require rejetting. So it becomes and install and ride type mod.

jake

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode