V Star 650 low power RPM's - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

V Star 650 low power RPM's

Recently got a V-Star with 5000 miles on it and on my first day it ran fine UNTIL it warmed up and then...

--Major loss of power
--seems to run fine cold
--difficult to even take off without it stalling.
--Idles fine
--exhaust pipe for the forward cylinder turned to a golden/brass color.
--seems to backfire some

I can limp home on it but not really rideable as max speed is maybe 45 or so.

Possible causes/fixes??

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 11:07 AM

The first place I would start is making sure you are turning the choke off after warm up. Then check the air filter and intake to ensure that is clean and clear. Then change the fuel filter and make sure there is fresh fuel in the tank with the recommended amount of Sea Foam or similar fuel treatment.

Only after that would I begin looking at carbs, carb etc.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

I did change the Air filter (and plugs too) will change the fuel filter tonight. I haven't added seafoam but can. I am unsure what gas or treatment the previous guy used/added. I have and will be using startron but haven't added any yet.
  1. Drain tank
  2. Change Fuel Filter
  3. Sea foam

And go from there.

I assume theres 2 carbs on the VStar 650 ...1 for Each Cylinder?? I am thinking maybe a main jet on one is clogged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 01:05 PM

Slayer has good recommendations to start. What year is the bike and has it set unused for a period of time? Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

The bike is a 2008 and has sat for the winter. The previous owner swears it was winterized and so on and so forth but really who the heck knows. I think it's safer to assume it wasn't winterized.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 01:39 PM

A 2008 with only 5000 miles is a very low mileage motorcycle at 7 years. It may have set for long periods of time and it could need more TLC to get her purring again. Do the stuff recommended and see how it goes. Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:09 PM

Sounds like you are on the right track. One other easy thing to double check before tearing into carbs is to make sure plugs are getting spark. Check your plug wires to be sure they are good and not cracked etc.

If you have clean air, clean fresh fuel, are getting spark, and you still have the problem it will be time to look at carbs. If you tear down the carbs, they will need to be synchronized once they are reinstalled. You can search the web for accurate homemade devices for synchronizing them. We have an independent shop here that will rebuild carbs, reinstall and sych for $65 each. At that price, at least for me, the savings doing myself isn't worth the trouble. Other's mileage may vary.

I would give the Sea Foam or the treatment of your choice a day or two to work. Run the engine enough to get the treated fuel into the carbs and let it sit for a day or two. Maybe that will dissolve anything caught in a jet.

Good luck!

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
Sounds like you are on the right track. One other easy thing to double check before tearing into carbs is to make sure plugs are getting spark. Check your plug wires to be sure they are good and not cracked etc.

If you have clean air, clean fresh fuel, are getting spark, and you still have the problem it will be time to look at carbs. If you tear down the carbs, they will need to be synchronized once they are reinstalled. You can search the web for accurate homemade devices for synchronizing them. We have an independent shop here that will rebuild carbs, reinstall and sych for $65 each. At that price, at least for me, the savings doing myself isn't worth the trouble. Other's mileage may vary.

I would give the Sea Foam or the treatment of your choice a day or two to work. Run the engine enough to get the treated fuel into the carbs and let it sit for a day or two. Maybe that will dissolve anything caught in a jet.

Good luck!
I looked at the plug wires when I changed the plugs and they visually looked good.

Fingers crossed. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by kenstogie; 03-11-2015 at 02:39 PM.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 08:26 AM

The exhaust pipe coloring is "usually" from it running lean and increasing temp. That cylinder is getting too much air and too little fuel.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1911ct View Post
The exhaust pipe coloring is "usually" from it running lean and increasing temp. That cylinder is getting too much air and too little fuel.
Based on all I have heard, what SW1911ct said and speaking with a friend of mine who has some experience with Mikuni carbs.... It's sounding like a Jet is clogged probably a main jet.

He recommended as you all did, draining the tank, new fuel filter, new non-ethonal gas (he hates that stuff) and running some seafoam through it. Might get lucky and that will do it.

I got the Seafoam last night but didn't get a chance to get the non-ethanol gas or drain the tank... that'll be tonight. Thanks again for all your help and insight... will let you know how it goes.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode