help with bolts please - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question help with bolts please

Hi all,
Does anyone of you know the size of the bolts that I'll need for the two holes on the triple three of a 2014 v star 950?? And plus the size of the bolts that are used to fasten the floorboard to the frame please. Not the lenght but the actual diameter/thread... Because I thought was a normal Ma thread, but a 10ma bolt will not fit.

Please forgive me for my poor english.....I've might have made some mistakes ^_^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Understand that metric hardware can be of coarse or fine thread.

Coarse might be 1.25 to 1.5 mm thread pitch
Fine might be 0.75 to 1.00 mm thread pitch

There are sites that have replacement parts on line and give
exploded views of the area in question. Many times the hardware
is shown with the type of bolt, length and pitch listed.

BikeBandit.com is one of them.

Good luck. Just ask me how I know

jake

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi jake and thank you for the reply,
I have searched the net for info and have been to bikebendit and other like it, but, unfortunatly
They do list items as "bolt with washer" and do not specify nothing...
I do know the pitch can be fine or coarse and for the 10 mm metric iso can be
coarse (normally used) 1.5 mm
Fine 1.25 to 1 mm
And unless i was unlucky enough to have a bolt that was not in "good shape" I've tried all three of those without luck....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 09:17 AM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Usually if the thread pitch is off slightly it will allow a few turns in and then tighten up. If it will not start threading at all not the right thread at all. if it feels loose (sloppy)when tightening it will not hold torque.

You could drill it out and retap it with a known next metric size up.

I would make sure the threads are not buggered up inside.

If they are retap. Done.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 01:51 PM

http://www.650ccnd.com/misc.htm you can figure the thread size from the yamaha part number.the paragraph is about half way down the page.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Ahhhhh, Fishing for motorcycle parts, Priceless.

Thanks Nick,.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 06:13 PM

the parts list at boats.net only goes up to 2013.so knowing the right year and style bike could give you the right part no. you won't get the thread but it will be either coarse or fine
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Cool. fishing for motorcycle parts on a boat parts web site.

amazing ! I hope he can real in a big one. Just The right size.

What Can I say I'm on a roll.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Tnx Nick ;-)
Still missing what I need...
Well probably no one ever needed to replace any of the bolts in question ^_^
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 11:17 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Being it's a bike made in Japan it has to be metric hardware.
The key is finding the correct thread pitch and length.

Note, Bolt length is determined from the underside of the head to the tip of the threads. SAE or metric is the same.

Thread pitch gauges can be purchased that are for Metric hardware.

This may be your fastest way of getting to the bottom of this issue.

You may even try contacting an Ebay vendor that deals in parting out
bikes. They may have had a crash victim that new come through the door. Many times when all the big parts are sold off they will list the Misc, hardware. Your bolts could be purchased as a pair from them.

Worth a try anyway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode