Vstar 1300: coolant dripbbles under crank case? Normal? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Vstar 1300: coolant dripbbles under crank case? Normal?

Very slow leak of coolant under crankcase, to left of old drain plug. There is a silver bracket with a hole in it that looks like it may be a drain, but I have ever seen coolant drops hanging from it like I did today when changing oil.

Looked for it on the crankcase parts fiche but don't even see it referenced.

Here it is:

As per design or part needed?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 10:20 PM

I was told that was an oil breather for the engine. When you get a lot of pressure built up in your engine then the extra pressure will exit the engine out of this tube. The only thing you should see on here is a oil film. Jim MN
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 03:47 AM

The weep hole can leak coolant or oil. Wipe it off an keep a eye on it. If it keeps leaking it could be a bad water pump. I got this info off another forum.2 of them had bad water pumps an it cost $1400.to have the water pump replace.

OldJoe v star 1300

Last edited by oldjoe1300; 03-16-2015 at 04:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 06:29 AM

What old Joe said,

If an automobile water pump leaks, it just drips into the road. The 1300 has a combination water pump/oil pump inside the oil pan.

The place where you are noticing the coolant "drip" is a weep hole, it is quite normal, maybe better said common to have a small amount/trace of coolant at the weep hole.
However of course if you start to see more and more leaking and actually see your coolant levels drop then you have a bad water pump.

The purpose of the weep hole is just for that reason, should you have the water pump which is in the oil pump fail, the coolant safety drains out of the weep hole instead of inside your oil pan.

With all the above said I am NOT an expert on this issue. I think I MAY have also read that you could get lucky to only need a new O Ring ... Im not sure.
I am sure of one thing, in most cases I would not think to much about it, its common for a little coolant to be there, its another thing if you actually start noticing drip marks under the bike or coolant level going low.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Last edited by alarmguy; 03-17-2015 at 07:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode