LED headlight install v star 650 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

LED headlight install v star 650

Recently purchased a supposedly compatible LED headlight but am curious how to hook it up. There are only 2 wires on the thing (and a transformer ? between the wires and the actual "bulb")

my thinking is that it will be brighter and use less electricity thereby taxing my electrical system less.

I have also heard that lenses are "cut" wrong focusing the LB's to close...any truth to this??

Last edited by kenstogie; 03-17-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Bueller? Bueller?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 09:48 AM

Don't have an LED light on my bike, but have some experience with them. Yes, they will use less power, usually only about 10-15% of a normal bulb. It won't provide really any benefit in that area since your bike is designed to power the reg bulb and will charge the battery regardless of demand. However, if you add on accessories later like heated grips, etc., it could help lessen the overall demand. In terms of brightness, it'll only be brighter if you bought one that's brighter than your original. If it's a direct swap, then the LED light will put out the same lumens as your first bulb. The real advantage is longevity. LED lights are designed to last, some for more than a decade. One side note, they are far more sensitive to moisture and shock because of their electronic ballast. Make sure you install it correctly. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 06:34 PM

I installed the Cree 30 watt hi/lo 7" led headlight a couple months ago on my 250 Virago twin. It replaces the standard 60 watt bulb and is almost twice as bright, drawing half the power. 3000 lumins white light with H4 connector. I believe this is the same for the 650. No fan needed, but did have to cut the rubber boot to fit the bulb in. I patched this together with gorrilla tape but later realized that silicon sealant would have been much better. Space is limited in the shell, so I sealed the connection to the transformer and mounted directly behind the shell outside. No new reflector is needed with this bulb. I did notice when shopping a diamond cut reflector is needed for the HID headlamp, a different animal. The difference from the standard bulb is remarkable and I should have done this mod sooner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode