V Star 250 mirror problem - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

V Star 250 mirror problem

My apologies if it's been posted, I did search but came up with no solutions. I bought my 2014 250 back in november and after the first ride my right mirror vibrated loose. I hand tightened it but now I can't get it to loosen again to readjust the mirror. To be clear, I'm referring specifically to the bolt where the mirror attaches to the bars. I'm afraid of stripping the chrome off of it if I try to be too forceful with a wrench. Can anyone help? In fact, can anyone clarify which direction I should be turning it to loosen? Thanks so much!

Josh Weinstein
NJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 09:47 AM

Garage
Josh, there may have been some humidity that got on the threads of the mirror post causing some corrosion. The casting this goes into is made of aluminum and the bolt is steel. Just apply a bit of penetrating oil and let it work for a bit. Then loosen the mirror. If you still feel that it's to tight, use a hairdryer and heat the casting.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/

Last edited by Corsair; 03-19-2015 at 09:49 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Awesome. Thanks for the help. Any idea which way? Standard righty tighty lefty loosey?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 10:33 AM

Garage
Nope. Its lefty tighty, righty loosy
Aunttudie and Aunttudie like this.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnfromhistory View Post
My apologies if it's been posted, I did search but came up with no solutions. I bought my 2014 250 back in november and after the first ride my right mirror vibrated loose. I hand tightened it but now I can't get it to loosen again to readjust the mirror. To be clear, I'm referring specifically to the bolt where the mirror attaches to the bars. I'm afraid of stripping the chrome off of it if I try to be too forceful with a wrench. Can anyone help? In fact, can anyone clarify which direction I should be turning it to loosen? Thanks so much!

Josh Weinstein
NJ
Hey Josh, I recently got a 2016 V Star 250 and the mirror vibrated loose after a few miles. I tightened it, but it came loose again after a few trips. Have you found a way to keep the mirrors in place? Just tighten them very tight? I donít want to strip the threads.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 07:02 PM

Garage
Medium strength loctite works very good. A little goes a long way. With the medium strength you can take it apart if needed.

bevo1981 and bevo1981 like this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Medium strength loctite works very good. A little goes a long way. With the medium strength you can take it apart if needed.
Great idea. Thanks!
lesblank and lesblank like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 12:55 AM

Garage
Forcedtoride, how do you like your 250 v-star? I saw a 250 Rebel about 3 years ago and it looked great. I've got a 650 V-Star but got sick and missed out on riding it before winter. I like smaller sized motors on motorcycles. In my opinion, if the bike is comfortable and can handle highway speeds, it can carry a rider anywhere. I see no reason why a 1800 cc engine would be more fun. I bought the very low mileage 650 because of the great price. I was looking for a Virago because I find them comfortable for my size. The 650 seems to be just as comfortable.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 09:56 AM
KCW

Garage
Corsair: Having left handed threads on the left side mirror would actually make sense, because the wind load would tend to tighten the mirror up instead of making it loose. Im pretty sure they did not do that.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 10:11 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabluz View Post
...how do you like your 250 v-star? I saw a 250 Rebel about 3 years ago and it looked great. I've got a 650 V-Star .... I was looking for a Virago because I find them comfortable for my size. The 650 seems to be just as comfortable.
The Vstar 250 was the Virago 250 or some other name for a while when the Vstar line first came out. The Vstar 650 has pretty much the same engine as the Virago 650 - its an evolution from one model line to the next.

The 250 has a chain drive and a couple other things that were stepped up on the 650 (shaft drive, tire size...)

When I took the MSF beginners class we rode Rebel 250s, they are decent bikes for riding around town and commuting.

The 650 hits a pretty sweet spot, its good for commuting edging out about 60mpg with a stock engine if you dont ride it like a wild man all the time. It has enough HP to put a windshield and saddle bags on the bike, and still be able to cruise at 70mph and hit 80mph+ if you need to.

I wondered why Yamaha discontinued the VS 650 last year, its a very popular bike, they run forever. I think the reason is a lot of people get a 650 and are happy with it and never step up to a bigger bike. I can imagine 20 executives sitting around a big conference table in a board room having this discussion: "its the perfect mid size cruiser bike, people buy them and ride them for 20 years... so we have to stop making them!"

Ive had mine for 5 years, and Im thinking of getting a bigger bike for taking longer road trips. On the 650 Im good for a couple hundred miles a day, on a 3 day weekend - but to take on a 1500 mile road trip, or to take off for a week or more, I think I want a VS 1300, Roadstar 1600 or 1700, or maybe even something more aerodynamic like the FJR1300 sport touring bike.

A bigger bike is the difference between riding being possible, and being enjoyable. If you take a Roadstar out on a long trip you will definitely be more comfortable, the bike will be more stable, and you will enjoy the ride more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode