Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

drive belt help

12K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Yamaha Pat 
#1 ·
okay, so I feel like such a noob... how do you find out how many teeth and length of the drive belt... I have the owners manual and repair manual but all they give me is the play tension... Where do I find this information? Somehow I picked up a rock and there is a bulge almost on the very edge...

thank you:confused:

#2 · (Edited)
You pose a very good question. Here is a video to determine the length of a belt.

While you can count the number of teeth it does not give you the belt width nor the tooth geometry. The tooth geometry must be the same as the sprocket geometry for things to work properly. I surmise that you want to go with a belt other than an OEM belt to beat the pricing. Good luck in your search. Augie

#3 ·
thanks commonground... the video shows the belt already off. I still ride it locally and was hoping to not have to bench the bike a few days if I could avoid it...
When you said count the teeth you meant count the teeth on the belt itself right?

#4 ·
I haven't been able to cross reference your belt, part number 5S7-46241-10-00, to any other number and I do not know how they count the teeth on the belt. It may be metric eg. with so many teeth per meter or, it could be counted in teeth per foot, I dunno. I do know that the tooth size (height & width), shape and spacing, have to fit the sprocket.

I have a belt with about 12,000 miles on it, that I took off of my 950. I changed it because I had a vibration problem. I later found the problem to be a loose nut on the main drive pulley. I have been keeping the belt as a backup. The Yamaha belts are supposed to be good for about 35,000 miles. If you are interested, PM me.

#6 ·
drive belt

thanks again commonground... this has to be the biggest downer about the bike. otherwise a have to say I fell head over heels when I saw it... Absolutely love it... I will be a belt pro when all is said and done lol

#7 ·
I see from another forum that you found a good price on a new belt. Great. Do you happen to have a picture of your belt with the damage? I am trying to put together an album of belt failures. I have several photos now and would like to add to them. Thanks Augie

#13 ·
#15 ·
Any thoughts about this product? Better yet anyone ever hear of Dayco?
Cant speak on the specific product but the dayco name has been around in automotive belts and hoses as long as I can remember.

#14 · (Edited)
rwooley, "Many times it's cheaper to go First Class".

I went to the site you gave us and I haven't the slightest idea of how you can get a belt with the same geometry (tooth height, tooth shape, tooth width) as your original belt.

With an OEM belt, you don't have that problem.

Example: I took a tour of the Harley Davidson plant here in York last week. One thing that I looked for, was the belts. I wanted to see if they were the same as the Yamaha belts. The belts are approximately the same width as the Yamaha belts but, the geometry was different. It could be because of the American system vs. the Metric system. I dunno.

Augie

#16 ·
If I may interject I found this artical regarding some interchangeable belts and tooth counts etc. here for the star raider
PULLEYS AND BELTS THAT WORK WITH RAIDER
BTW Vstar950 and the 1300 both use a 136 tooth belts and are available at lower prices than the $500+ of the OEM part
Both BDL, Drag, and Dayna all produce a replacement belt for the 2010-2012 950 & 1300

#19 · (Edited)
Vstar 950 drive belt update

So Commonground saved the day!!! So, I and a friend planned and completed our 6500 mile trip from Washington State across the norther states to Chicago and started Route 66 all the way to Sana Monica Pier. We then headed home via hwy 1, 101 and I 5. That rock I picked up cause the drive belt failure. The bubble became a tear half of the belt. Just by chance I found it during my pre-inspection. This was while we were in South Dakota on a Friday. Well, after hours calling for someone to install it that day and without costing my right lunge I found a repair shop "Bobs" shop who replaced it for $45. So the belt I got from you common saved my A$$! trip continued relaxed and thankful of good people such as those here on the forums and especially you common... Thank you!!!!

rwooley

Oh I did catch a rock that broke my windshield but saved my face lol easy fix. :)

I also put together a very non professional video of some of this adventure if you have time to check it out... 6500 miles in 25 days...

Attachments

Reactions: bevo1981
#21 ·
I've had the same problem with my 1300 Star - can't find any definitive information about the belt anywhere, other than the ridiculously over-priced OEM belt. Even worse is that BikeBandit.com claims to have aftermarket belts that fit my bike, but all they provide is a list of various belts in various sizes, never pointing to which one I actually need.

What I find hard to believe is with all the 1300 Star bikes out there that nobody has managed to come up with and post this mystical information.

#22 · (Edited)
This has been discussed at length on other forums and my understanding is that Gates manufactures the belts but, that they are proprietary and not sold to the public. Gates is an American manufacturer and the part number I have does not show as a belt available through Gates for on-line sales. Augie :frown:

Edit: There are sites that have used bike parts on-line. Evidently they part out many brands of bikes including Yammies.