Windshields? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Windshields?

Does anyone have a windshield from long ride? i'm thinking about getting one for my 1300 and was wondering if anyone's had any thoughts about these or any pictures? I was looking at the spitfire, but i'm 6'2" and wondering if that would be tall enough. I don't prefer the really tall windshields, although they would probably be more comfortable riding. I've never had a windshield before (maybe i'm getting wiser...) heres the link
www.longrideshields.com
thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleFester View Post
Does anyone have a windshield from long ride? i'm thinking about getting one for my 1300 and was wondering if anyone's had any thoughts about these or any pictures? I was looking at the spitfire, but i'm 6'2" and wondering if that would be tall enough. I don't prefer the really tall windshields, although they would probably be more comfortable riding. I've never had a windshield before (maybe i'm getting wiser...) heres the link
www.longrideshields.com
thoughts?
Here is a simple good way to determine windshield height.

Windshield height is a personal preference, but one recognized standard is to be able to look just over the top of your windshield when seated on the bike to see the road at a distance of 50 feet in front of you.

Generally, this means that a correctly sized windshield mounted to your bike will have a top edge that is horizontally level with the tip of your nose or just slightly below eye level.

Other Considerations When Choosing a Windshield Size

1. The Make, Model and Year of Your Bike

Make sure the windshield you want is available for your particular bike.

Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 01:51 PM

Haven't done business with that company, but here's another option. They sell custom windshields made to your order. I bought one about a year ago and am very happy with it. Prices are reasonable, they ship fast, and the quality is excellent.

http://www.7jurock.com/store/index.p...&productId=314

Jeff
BLUE BIKE CLUB
2012 V-Star 950T-Impact Blue

Kuryakyn ISO grips
Back-Off taillight modulator
OEM passing lights
OEM luggage rack
OEM engine guards, saddlebag guards and trim rails
Marlin Talon gauges
Show Chrome Headlight & Passing Light visors
Mustang 2 piece wide touring seat with backrest/studs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmaster View Post
Haven't done business with that company, but here's another option. They sell custom windshields made to your order. I bought one about a year ago and am very happy with it. Prices are reasonable, they ship fast, and the quality is excellent.

http://www.7jurock.com/store/index.p...&productId=314

I was looking at this company for my fairing too but I went with a used Klockwerks windshield I found online.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 06:37 AM

If you get a windshield you won't regret it. I've said before, I don't know how people ride without one.
While sitting on the bike if the top of the shield is about even with your upper lip it'll be fine. The wind hits it and goes up, usually the wind you'll feel with a windshield is coming up from underneath the shield. After I got my bike it was only a month or so that went by before I got a windshield. Huge difference in my attitude about riding higher speeds especially for longer periods. Without the shield your upper body acts like a parachute for all the wind, bugs, and road debris. I couldn't stand highway riding, I'd have to pucker up my face and hang on for dear life. Then when I'd get home my jacket would be covered in bugs, face too.

You can get used to riding without a windshield but once you have one for a while it's hard to give up. Less wind noise in your ears and less wind fatigue on your body for those longer rides. I know people that ride without due to not wanting to change the style of their bike but for me having a windshield makes the motorcycle experience a whole lot nicer.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 05:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

Can't say anything about brands or companies. (of course look up memphis shades.

But those posted are spot on, you won't regret one. I always thought they looked 'funny'. Well guess who has a windshield now. A day of riding without a shield wears me out.

Like others said, the 'nose' height seems right. I have the stock shield on my bike, and it seems (eyeballing) about 2" too low, visually looking over it that is. And I get some head buffeting and will eventually get a taller one. I'm even thinking a fairing too.

Grab a helper with a tape measure. Sit in the saddle, hands on the bars. Have the helper measure from the top of the headlight to your nose. If need be grab a stick or level to meet the tape. Looking straight forward head level.

.:'09 Vstar 950T:.

VOTE for the BikeOfTheMonth It only takes a moment and you get to check out a bunch of great scoots! Participate all you rascals!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 07:44 AM

I would have to agree with all the other guys. I took mine off one day just to see how it felt. Needless to say it went back on when I got home. Just my .02 but be extra careful on sizing unless whatever you buy is adjustable. I have the stock Yamaha w/s and I am 6'2" as well. Mine is in the lowest setting and I am looking over it and really like it. It's probably about nose high as others have suggested. Just for fun once I raised it up to it's next setting. It only moved about 2 inches but the top edge was directly in my line of sight. Was actually seeing the top of two w/s while trying to ride. I guess the point of what I am trying to say is make sure you either have some adjustment or its tall enough for you to look through. You can always cut it down if necessary. I flat out could not ride mine if it could only be set to the upper setting.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 07:06 AM

Check out Cee Baileys. They make direct-fit replacement shields for 1300 in 17", 19", 21" & 23" heights, also in clear, light tint or heavy tint. Very reasonable prices. I got a 19" shipped last summer for around $125 or $130. At 5'10" height, I wouldn't want the shield any lower (actually 20" seemed perfect for me, but they didn't make that size). I believe the stock shield on the Tourer is around 23" high (too tall, imo).

http://www.ceebaileys.com/yamaha/
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Long ride shields can't make one to fit on my 1300. Since the speedo is mounted on the handlebars and it's 7 1/4" wide. Their mounting brackets are 6 3/8 is the widest they have. so that one's not gonna work. I ordered one from National Cycle. now just to wait till it comes (course, we've still got snow on the ground here). It's not as dark as I originally wanted, but it is tinted.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 04:30 PM

I have an OEM one for sale that came off of my VStar1300 Tour. It also comes with the brackets that mount to the forks. I put a fairing one my bike and no longer need the windshield. PM me if interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode