Error Code 42 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Error Code 42

Error Number 42 : Speed sensor error / Neutral sensor in short-circuit - DIAG mode 07-21

Advice?

Speed sensor location?

Neutral sensor location? And also maybe check connections on the kick stand switch too?

I needa buy me a book.

It just came on the other day while I had my wife in the driveway playing with the clutch and throttle (getting ready for her BRC course). Just looked up the code today.

Edit: Well for an update, it went away when I was riding. Maybe the ECU went bonkers cause my wife was going up/backwards over and over in the driveway, feeling out the clutch. I dunno. Its fine for now I guess.

.:'09 Vstar 950T:.

VOTE for the BikeOfTheMonth It only takes a moment and you get to check out a bunch of great scoots! Participate all you rascals!

Last edited by Mr Schaefer Pants; 03-25-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Oh, and since I wasted your time, here's a pic

Got the wife her first bike. Suzuki Boulevard S40. Went looking at a used Vstar 250 for her (believe it or not those are hard to find around here, Rebles EVERYWHERE, but she thinks they're too cramped, and I agree).

So after weighing pros and cons, went went with this. Size/weight of a quarter liter, but has a single cylinder 650. Pretty bike. I feel its a happy medium. Not over powered for her, but room to grow, handles like a 250 in the slow stuff, does highway/interstate just fine. Being lighter, had some wind bursts at 70mph coming home on the interstate when the big rigs passed by, but its 381lbs, so it was expected. Put 52 miles on it riding home, boy I realize how I'm spoiled with a backrest and windscreen on my 950T

Click image for larger version

Name:	1484685_10155368198455486_1808031742538734135_n.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	42025

I think this is the wave the "250s" should ride. Its the perfect beginner bike, and unlike a 250, you can grow into it for a good long time. Physically the size of a 250, similar weight, high MPGs, but its a 650. Great option. You listening Yamaha? lol Key ignition, locked tool access and helmet lock is the same key, but front forks has its own mini key? WTF. Stupid.

VOTE for the BikeOfTheMonth It only takes a moment and you get to check out a bunch of great scoots! Participate all you rascals!

Last edited by Mr Schaefer Pants; 03-25-2015 at 12:37 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 03:15 PM

Its something how a 650 today is considered a beginners bike. In fact I'd argue my 1100 is a better starter bike than a 650. Only because you wont keep a 650 for long.

Back when I was a kid, a 650 was a BIG motorcycle. Triumphs, BSA's. The biggest displacement I'm aware of back then was the Harley Electraglide which was a 1200 CC. The Norton 850 Commando I "think" was the fastest production motorcycle in those days. Things have changed. For the better. Aww crap I'm reminiscing again. Sorry about that.

Glad the error (no idea what it means) disappeared. Your ole lady will enjoy that little one lunger. Neat little bike.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Ya I hear ya, few decades ago people went touring cross country on 200cc bikes. Now they're 'beginner' bikes. But, I guess the caveat to that is bikes handle better now, better brakes, better suspension. So engine power aside, all these new bikes are easier for any new rider than bikes of the past. And those older bikes didn't weigh 800lbs either.

But since bikes are labled via their displacement, its not so much a 250cc is a beginners bike, just the size and weight. I still have fun on 250s. And her single 650 is a fun "little" scoot.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 05:06 PM

A 650 was a big bike because it took very little to make it fast enough to run a sub 13 second 1/4 mile. The same bikes racing were the same ones with Windjammers, bags and tall sissy bars on them. And the UJM did it pretty well. When the UJM died, a chunk of motorsports was laid to rest with it. My opinion, of course. I'm partial to the KZ650.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

it's probably the speed sensor error, but could the the throttle position sensor. maybe it was just a glitch. but if it occurs again, it should definitely be looked at.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 11:39 AM

Re: error 42. It's the answer to "Life, the Universe and Everything"!

'06 VStar 1100 Classic - black with ghost flames!
Cobra sissy bar and luggage rack
National Cycle windshield
National Cycle quick release hardbags
Lindby engine guard
Driving lights mounted to engine guard

More to come when I save enough cash!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Lol. Surprised I didn't pick up on that. Now where's my towel...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M'Lady View Post
Re: error 42. It's the answer to "Life, the Universe and Everything"!
"I always thought something was fundamentally wrong with the universe"

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode