Vstar 1100 Restore - Questions + pics - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Vstar 1100 Restore - Questions + pics

Hello all,
bought my first star a few weeks back. 2002 with 28k on it. Been sitting outside so chrome is pretty rough...starting a restore. Here's what I've done so far.

If you have any parts for sale or links to parts, please let me know.
I am looking for any types of covers, or chrome pieces possible. Also looking for windshield mount as it's pretty rusted beyond restoration. We've done a pretty good with the chrome so far and the wheels. Biggest Eye sore are the pipes. All in all - runs fantastic - have done 500 miles on it so far. Picked it up for $1000! Let me know what you think/ any suggestions of parts or restoration ideas you have. Thanks!

P.S. Hopefully I did the images right. First post

Day 1:

After Some Man hours and elbow grease with a little help from 0000 steel wool and chrome cleaner/ sealer heres what she's looking like!:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 09:59 AM

Coming along quite nicely!

06 1100 custom midnight edition
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 01:08 PM

Yeah coming along very well. When I got mine it was just starting to do that too. Did some scrubbin and polishin like you and maybe last a while longer.

Sonysnek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 09:47 PM

Just a quick thought.... soak any chrome items that you want to try to salvage in a bin of Metal Rescue. (can pick it up at Lowes) I had a couple of backrest brackets I got for cheap.... soaked overnight and they turned out really good. The trick is to find a product to prevent the rust from coming back. I'm trying a rubdown of Sheila Shine right now.... doesn't look like it will hold up, so the search continues.

(Assuming I uploaded the images correctly) You can see the before and after pics below. No scrubbing involved. I just let the parts soak for 24 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150314_173219.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	42225   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150315_134934.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	42233  

09 V Star 1100 Silverado
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 09:13 AM
gfl

I have no idea if it would help you, but, 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water works to get water spots off my boat that wont otherwise come off.

I guess I'd say try it in an inconspicuous spot to see how it works.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 10:24 PM

You may want to trade the steel wool for bronze wool. It will take the nasty stuff off and not likely harm the metal underneath. I use it with Breakfree CLP on guns all the time, and it takes the rust off without harming the metal finish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode