5th Gear Slipping - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

5th Gear Slipping

Fellowriders,

I don't go on long rides or fast, but sometimes, i do need my 5th gear when roads clear enough.

A few times, my 5th gear slipped. At first, i almost panicked, but second and third time, i got cautious.

Any idea, why the slipping?

Also, my shift seems very sensitive. I gently touch my gear and and shifts. Should it be that nimble? i prefer a little firm shifting rather then loose.

Whats your thought?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 06:42 PM

The 'gear' most likely isn't slipping....your clutch is slipping. check your shop manual on how to do a proper adjustment.....or it may need to be replaced

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 07:58 PM

I suggest you check the adjustment of your clutch cable first. Slipping is a sign of your clutch going bad, but those quick shifts with minimal force lead me to think your clutch isn't fully disengaging.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 08:31 AM

Sounds like good advice. I would also like to recommend while you're in the area to check that your shift lever is ratcheting properly. There are three springs that hold things in place: two torsion and one tension. The shift lever should go fully up and fully return to center and go fully down and fully return to center. This is accomplished with FIRM shifts and fully releasing no matter what the lever feels like.

Also, you mention that it slips easily into 5th gear and it seems like you don't use it often. Is it possible you are partially ratcheting the lever when you're driving around in 4th gear? If so, you may want to consider moving your foot out of the way when not shifting or raising the lever slightly to give your toe more room.

I'm going on the assumption here that your "slipping" problem is due to improper gear engagement. It's unclear to me what type of slipping you are experiencing.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 06:35 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Make sure your NOT using car motor oil ? Any oil you use that has the
(energy conserving ) label in the circle on the back of the bottle should not be used. Or clutch slipping can result. Mine slipped in 5th slightly.

Changed oil to Rotella 5w 40 T6 and problem solved.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 10:06 AM

Get your clutch adjusted and for the heck of it put the proper weight motorcycle oil in there. I mean any motorcycle oil go to Walmart and get standard 20/50 or 10/40 Valvoline MC oil for $4 a quart.

I ONLY say that just in case someone or you put some funky oil in there, since you give no history no way to know.
AGAIN, FOR SURE, its not the oil but clutch adjustment or worn clutch but cant harm if it was just an adjustment and you havent changed the oil yet to put some MC oil in it.
I dont care the brand, I only brought up Valvoline because I like it for its almost "grabby" feel with the clutch.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode