Side Stand Switch Issue (not a starting issue) - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Side Stand Switch Issue (not a starting issue)

Hi all, I am having an issue if anyone could help out, my side stand switch stopped going in on it's own all of a sudden. Rather than levering the switch closed, the stand just wants to bend it out of the way. Has anyone seen this or have any thoughts on fixes? I've tried tightening and loosening both the stand pivot bolt and the switch mounting screws but nothing seems to help? Pic below.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 08:42 AM

Garage
Timps, did you try to push the plunger in? I had a similar issue with the 250's at work. What I found was the return spring retaing plate for the stand was bent and this is what prevented the stand from lowering and staying down. This is why I asked about the plunger. Could you take more pics; side and from the bottom?
Just a thought.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Right now I have to push the plunger in with a finger while rotating the stand with my foot, otherwise it just bends the plunger out of the way instead of depressing it. The stand and stand spring appear to be functioning normally, with one central pivot on the stand arm I'm not sure what could have changed in the stand assembly to stop the plunger from depressing normally with the rotation of the stand.

The plunger does appear slightly bent inboard, which I had not noticed prior. At this point it doesn't hinder the operation of the bike at all, but is a major inconvenience having to manually depress it each time I set the stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Tried some white lithium grease to see if it would help the plunger start it's depression. No go.

The more I look at it the more I have to think the plunger is extended too far. It doesn't seem reasonable for the plunger to be out that far, does it? Doesn't seem like the angle between the stand cap and the plunger head has the leverage to depress it that far out.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 10:29 AM

I don't have a 650 at present but went back and dug up a picture of my 2009 and cropped it down. You have something very much out of alignment. The plunger flat end should ride on the cam (silver part of kickstand) all the time. The switch plunger shaft should be in-line with the bolt on the kickstand.

Hope that this helps. Augie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	650 Kick Stand.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	42553  

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 05:41 PM

Garage
Here's another thought. Is the center bolt tight? Could be the bushing the bolt fits in is worn and allows the cam to be to low and not make proper contact with the plunger.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 06:58 PM

Side stand switch

I had a problem with the switch on my 03 1100 Custom. I took it off, took it apart, lubed it but to no avail. For a quick fix, I cut the wires going into the switch then put them together with a wire nut. Worked perfectly! After sustaining near cardiac arrest when I got a stealership price of $85, I went to my good ole standby-ebay-and got one for about $12 w/free shipping. Works just like new!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Spot on Augie, it was an alignment issue. I pried the forward end of the switch and mount inboard just a bit and operation is back to normal. Thank you for the keen eye!

The only thing that frustrates me is it was working fine, then I had it at the dealer to fix exhaust mounting, then it developed this problem. I didn't touch the mount, certainly not hard enough to bend it out of alignment, so I wonder if something happened in their shop.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timps27 View Post
Spot on Augie, it was an alignment issue. I pried the forward end of the switch and mount inboard just a bit and operation is back to normal. Thank you for the keen eye!

The only thing that frustrates me is it was working fine, then I had it at the dealer to fix exhaust mounting, then it developed this problem. I didn't touch the mount, certainly not hard enough to bend it out of alignment, so I wonder if something happened in their shop.
I don't trust that the techs at the dealerships are always trained or schooled in the finer points of motorcycle maintenance, especially when the store sells a bunch of brands and models. You go in there thinking they are the experts but, "Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you". Augie

Edit: In your picture it appears that the screw/bolt on the top of the switch is not tight and the switch is not tight against the mount.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.

Last edited by commonground; 04-06-2015 at 06:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode