starter clutch stays engaged - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

starter clutch stays engaged

just installed a new aftermarket starter clutch on 2007 1100. bike now starts but starter stays engaged. thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 09:32 PM

The starter is always engaged on an 1100. That is why there is a starter clutch.

Do you mean that it is always energized? If that is the case, you might try disassembling the starter and cleaning it and checking the starter relay.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

let me try and explain better. i understand starter stays engaged all the time. after bike starts you can hear starter gears still turning like starter clutch is not free wheeling after start up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 04:49 PM

Tough to say because you didn't buy a Yamaha kit, but it sounds like the one way bearing is locked up. Why, I wouldn't know. The bearing should only engage in one direction. Here's a video which may reveal something helpful.

http://youtu.be/6z8XWB04NmQ

There's a lot of information and videos on this because the starter clutch used to be a much less reliable part. The aftermarket caught on and cheaper kits are pretty easy to find. Some of the stuff is better and some is "buyer beware".

Recheck the installation and compare your install with some of those videos. Someone here may have the perfect answer. I can only offer you my opinion.

Here's a good read also to look for what may have gone wrong: https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...starter-clutch

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar

Last edited by sparkn; 04-09-2015 at 05:13 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Took everything back apart with flywheel on bench i can turn stsrter clutch one way but not the other but i is very hard to turn. The starter gear and roller bearing have to be tapped in with hammer. Im thinking this is way too tight to freewheel when motor is running. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help and input
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 07:20 PM

I'm at a loss. The roller bearing and the one way should have to be tapped on, but should also spin pretty freely (the one way in only one direction, of course). If you can turn the flywheel in both directions and the starter gears turn both ways you have a problem with the either the installation or parts. You did install ALL of the parts, right?

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Took flywheel and all parts to local shop they agree that roller bearing is too tight. Now comes trying to deal with eBay company i purchased parts from. Does anyone recommend a good aftermarket kit or stick with factor kit?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 05:19 AM

The roller bearing can be purchased separate from the clutch kit from Yamaha. There are several discount Genuine OEM parts houses online that discount well above and beyond the dealer. Personally, I shy away from aftermarket when it comes to engine and drivetrain.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 07:25 PM

I agree......I'd go OEM unless you really like doing the job over and over.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help sparkn and sick mick. looks like i will chalk the 100 spent on junk parts to experience and shell out money for oem parts. with two 1100 i sure dont want to do this over and over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode