V Star 950 vs Victory Cross Country - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

V Star 950 vs Victory Cross Country

Okay, so I found out something interesting yesterday afternoon. First, I know that exceeding the speed limit is illegal and potentially dangerous but...

I attend class with an older fella who rides a 2011 Victory Cross Country and we usually leave campus together. Being as that I recently purchased my Star and this fella being curious about it's capabilities I was expecting that at some point he would want to see what it could do. We happened to stop at the front of the line at a light and while he didn't look over and say, "Hey, wanna race?", I sorta figured he would juice it and hope I did too.

So, as we start pulling away from the light he gets to where his rear wheel is just in front of my front and hammers it. I suspected he would so I was ready to roll-on hard as well. We were in first gear and moving about 5 miles an hour when the "race" began. We both worked up to 4th gear before we had to start slowing down for the next light but.....

To my surprise, this fella and his Victory never pulled more than a bike & 1/2's length ahead of me. Judging by the sound of his exhaust and the time between shifts I surmise he was giving it all he had, as was I. He didn't say anything when we stopped again but I can't imagine he wasn't surprised at how quick a bike with half the engine displacement and power of his could keep up with him.

We are both somewhat large people, I'm 5'9" and 230lbs and he's about the same height but maybe 20lbs lighter. His Victory has the infamous 106ci Freedom V-twin but his bike is about 800 or so pounds whereas my 950 is about 650lbs. It was rather surprising to me that the extra weight could make that much of a difference in acceleration.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my little story of immaturity and recklessness. Oh, and my good time in being those things.

Comments or criticisms are welcome, I suppose.

1986 Honda VT500C - On loan to a family member
2005 Suzuki SV650 - ADV project bike
2013 V Star 950T - Newest addition to the stable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 01:20 PM

Ya, I know we're not supposed to but, can't tell you how many times I've done the same thing. Not always with bikes.

2009 1100 Classic
Memphis Fats Windshield
Cobra Slash Cuts
Hypercharger/pod-mod
4" floorboard extention
Mustang studded Hard bags
Showchrome sissy bar
Hopnel windshield bag
Stebel Nautilus Ear Cannon Horn
assorted chrome add-ons
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceanddixie View Post
Ya, I know we're not supposed to but, can't tell you how many times I've done the same thing. Not always with bikes.
I'm sure most of us who ride have done our share of speeding and such but, every now and then people like to chastise those who admit it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 06:13 PM

Interesting, but, reality is that stock the Victory is nearly 2 seconds quicker in the quarter. But, what happens between stop lights isn't always as cut and dry.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/articles/2015_01PerfIndex.pdf

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

you're assuming he was giving as much throttle as you...

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 07:52 AM
Lifetime Premium

No way of knowing till you see him again and ask. Roughly twice the displacement for only an extra 150'ish lbs. And whatever differences 1,2 gears are.

Our 950s will scoot though, I'm happy with the power.

.:'09 Vstar 950T:.

VOTE for the BikeOfTheMonth It only takes a moment and you get to check out a bunch of great scoots! Participate all you rascals!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 09:11 AM

A large cruiser is not for anyone who is interested in pulling off the line super fast, they have sport bikes for that for 50% less money that can pull away faster.
However if you want a rock solid ride at true gps, notice I say true GPS speeds, (metric bike speedometers are famous for exaggerating speed, to compensate for lack of 6th gear) speeds 70 to 85 MPH for hours at a time or cruise long trips without getting blown all over the road, no matter the wind and road conditions or how many tractor trailers you pass the Victory will blow the others away.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Last edited by alarmguy; 04-12-2015 at 09:14 AM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 10:07 AM

I don't know about getting blown all over the place but for long distance riding 80mph or more is not what the 950 was meant for sadly. The Victory surely shines in that aspect.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 06:26 PM

Well, considering a 950 is around 50 hp and 60 torque and a stock XC is 90 hp and 100 torque. Weight does make a difference but it would need to be much more than what it was. If you are ever in MN you can try against my XC Cams are being put in now, should run 115/115.

2000 Yamaha Vstar Classic 650
2013 Victory Cross Country
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkn View Post
Interesting, but, reality is that stock the Victory is nearly 2 seconds quicker in the quarter. But, what happens between stop lights isn't always as cut and dry.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/articles/2015_01PerfIndex.pdf
I'm very sure that in the 1/4 mile he would have pulled away more than he did, our little "race" was more akin the the 1/8 mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
you're assuming he was giving as much throttle as you...
Yes, and he may very well not have been.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode