Extension Depot V-Star 1100 ORK - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Extension Depot V-Star 1100 ORK

I read all the pros and cons about ORKs. Lots of good info at KB (https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...ifications/ork) It appears there are several folks out there that are and have been using ORKs for many many miles with no issues. I purchased the Extension Depot V-Star 1100 RAW Oil Filter Relocation Kit - Unfinished Aluminum for ~$100 late last year based on a post from someone else here. I knew this spring I was going to do a oil change so I figured I'd wait until warm weather to put it on. OK first, this was my 1st oil change on my VStar since I just bought it back in November. OMG, what was Yamaha thinking? What a PITA. Anyway, the ORK fit perfectly and since most of it is behind the exhaust header, I don't really care that it's not polished. Took me about 2 hours - 3 with the short ride after to top off the oil and check for leaks. I'm thinking my next oil change will be 15 minutes and most of that time will be the wait for the old oil to drain and the new oil to fill thru my tiny funnel. I am using Shell Rotella® T6 Full Synthetic 5W-40 and will use Full Synthetic oil going forward as those 1/8" lines look pretty small. Went for a 150 mile ride Sunday and I can tell it's got oil flowing because the lines and the filter are hot. I am happy. Ride on.

'05 V Star 1100 Silverado $2000
Jardine Rumblers Slash Cut Slip-ons $50
Ext. Depot Billet ORK $120
LED Daymaker Headlight from Amazon $59
LED Driving Lights attached to Stock Turn Signal Stems $29
SuperbrightLEDs High Power Brake LED w/ Brake Flasher $18
SuperbrightLEDs "Switchback" Front LED Bulbs $28
Unibar Engine Guard $35
Rear Fender Mini Luggage Rack $25
Throttle Assist $32
Cruising with the Wind in your Face - Priceless
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 01:12 PM

Hey thanks for the info. First feed back I've heard bout those ORK's. Thinkin bout gettin one myself for my beast. Although doin oil change isn't really that bad. Only takes bout half hour if ya just loosen things up instead of removing completely. Takes a little patience but can be done. That bein said, it would still be alot easier just removing an oil filter.

Sonysnek
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 06:45 AM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
I've had this setup on my 650 for some time now. The items from this vendor are really nice. Mine was the raw version too. The aluminum is highly polished due to the CNC milling process. So not chrome but still looks nice as is.

I have had zero issues and run the 5w 40 Rottella T6 oil.

Oil changes are now like a 4 year old could do it.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 09:19 AM

Where did you find their kit? I know online they only have the 650 kit listed ( at a great price )
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowhorse24 View Post
Where did you find their kit? I know online they only have the 650 kit listed ( at a great price )
I actually got it on Amazon. I ordered on 1/1/2015 and the actual price was $119.99. I just clicked on my order to bring up the listing and I noticed this:

Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

I would call them. This fit perfectly. I've only been ~200 miles since install but no leaks or issues. I did use Teflon tape on the nipples going to the machined parts but nothing on the threads for the lines.

Extension Depot ED-1100-ORR Yamaha V-Star 1100 RAW Oil Filter Relocation Kit
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

Extension Depot ED-1100-ORR Yamaha V-Star 1100 RAW Oil Filter Relocation Kit
by Extension Depot LLC

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

• Turns oil changes into a two-minute job.
• Convenient relocation kits feature CNC-machined billet components with braided stainless steel lines.
• Complete instructions for installation included.
• Use oil filter type Fram part #PH-6017, K&N part #KN-303 or KN-303C (each sold separately).
• Raw unfinished - ready for you to paint, powder coat, or polish

Unibar Engine Guard $35
Throttle Assist $32
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
It seemed to me that the 650 version was very much in stock in several versions. The 1100 version not so much. Why is a good question.

Maybe it requires more labor to produce ? And charging more for it results in reduced sales so it might not be as profitable as the 650 kits.

All I know is the fit, finish and function of the 650 kit I got were outstanding. Great kit. Great price.

jake

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoRider00 View Post
It seemed to me that the 650 version was very much in stock in several versions. The 1100 version not so much. Why is a good question.

Maybe it requires more labor to produce ? And charging more for it results in reduced sales so it might not be as profitable as the 650 kits.

All I know is the fit, finish and function of the 650 kit I got were outstanding. Great kit. Great price.

jake
I had thought the 650 was easier to change oil IE. just remove the cover - no exhaust header removal. If that's true, I would think there would be a bigger market for the 1100 than 650 but maybe there are just a lot more 650s out there. I am with you jake, the fit and function are outstanding. The finish was unfinished aluminum but was still better than expected. I am a happy biker.

Unibar Engine Guard $35
Throttle Assist $32
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

Garage
eruby, No fumbling with exhaust on the stock 650, however, the bolts can be stripped easily and with repeated removal and assembly over time the risk of a strip increases..

With the aftermarket setup you never mess with that stuff.

Yes you should change the rubber o ring just behind the bypass cover.
When I remove mine again at a later date I will change it for a
Viton O ring. Which is much stronger than the stock ones.

And really having to remove or loosen exhaust to change the oil is just plain crazy. Who was NOT thinking when they designed this ?
Oh yes lets make them take it to the dealer for oil changes (cha ching)
Crazy azz fools.

My oil change takes less than 1 beer to do. In my garage.
1 wrench for the drain plug. Filter wrench, thats it.

Best money spent on upgrade to my bike so far...

jake

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 06:27 PM

Garage
Just finished installing it, and took her out for ~40 miles after. My thoughts:

The Good

1) Generally a thumbs-up. It's well-made, precise and seems a quality product. Saving $100 by assembling it myself well worth it.

2) Nary a leak or funny noise. Seems to be performing just fine.

3) WHAT A RELIEF to do oil changes without dropping the pipes. Maybe it's easier with stockers, but my 2-into-1 Cobras are a real beast to get off/on. And there's definitely no "just loosen things up" option. To get into the stock oil filter recess, those bad boys have to come OFF.

So generally a thumbs up. What could be better?

Areas to improve:

A) Like most ORK's I've seen, on certain model years you cannot install it "out of the box" without moving the rear brake reservoir (e.g. true on my 2004). Not a big hassle, but was not covered in instructions. Company told me they are updating instructions.

B) There are four 'nipples' two for the oil filter mount and two for the part that fits into the former oil filter area. One of these arrived with smushed threads (may have been the shipper's fault). The company quickly and cheerfully sent me a replacement (two of them "just in case" actually). Thumbs-up for prompt and effective customer service.

Bottom line: very pleased indeed and would recommend.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 06:31 PM

Garage
PS - FWIW, I also picked up new bolts for the stock oil-filter-cover-plate. Although I'm no longer using it, the hex-head bolts were stripped to the point I had a devil of a time even getting them off. Finally did with LOTS of penetrating oil and patience, but it was a close thing. Should I ever revert to stock, or sell to someone who wants to, there's no way I'd put those back on. So the new ones were a great $7 investment toward that possibility.

More to the point: All the more reason to go with an ORK. Dropping the pipes and pulling that cover plate every 6 mos/4,000 miles is bound to eventually cause a problem...

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode