650 starts, but dies on throttle - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

650 starts, but dies on throttle

MY sister took her 650 out of storage after a couple of years. It started up fine but dies instantly on throttle or shifting to 1st. Any ideas?

2000 Yamaha Vstar Classic 650
2013 Victory Cross Country
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 07:50 PM

Garage
I had a similar situation a few years ago. The carbs were so gummed up when load was put on it died. It would idle fine but would die if given any throttle . I had to clean carbs, tank, petcock and replace fuel filter. You might want to start at fuel filter as its cheap and easy. I diagnosed the issue but pulling the fuel line behind the fuel filter and there was only a dripping of fuel.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 08:58 AM
Lifetime Premium

I 2nd that. If there was fuel in the system, after years of sitting it probably needs an overhaul on the fuel system. I wouldn't of even started it up w/o a flush and cleaning. The tank itself might have up to an inch of sludge sitting on the bottom.

.:'09 Vstar 950T:.

VOTE for the BikeOfTheMonth It only takes a moment and you get to check out a bunch of great scoots! Participate all you rascals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 04:12 PM

todays ethanol fuel only compounds this issue

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Third and fourth the motion. Here yee here yee all in favor of full tank and fuel system cleaning say (I) (I) The eye's have it.....

This means pull both carb bowls and clean pilot jets and main jets as well as holders, Do not forget the pilots have side holes. Very small

I have heard the bread tie wire cleaning method works well.
Compressed air on the mains or carb cleaner in a spray can.

Replace gas, check the tank for sludge.

I had to do all this on mine when purchased. Lots of fun....

But worth it ....

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

I tried taking the bowls off. Got two screws on one off, but the other two not so much. I did't want to strip them. My sister decided then to just take it to the dealer and have them do a checkup on it.

2000 Yamaha Vstar Classic 650
2013 Victory Cross Country
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 08:48 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Home work is required. Not brute strength. You need to soak the screws in PB blaster or similar solvent. You also need to use the correct type screw driver ( in this case JIS) The yamaha vstar tool kit
has one. You need to tap on the end of the screw head with the screw driver engaged whilst trying to turn it. A wrench or small 1/4 drive socket handle is more than enough to seat the jis driver in place.

Most times this method will remove the screws. There are allen head socket type screws that can be purchased as replacements.

This is not that hard to do. Dealer charge will be several hundred at least.

Good luck with the dealer.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode