rejetting? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

rejetting?

I got my 2005 Vstar 1100 classic a year and a half ago with Hard Chrome straight pipes and Kuryakin 'Hypercharger Aircleaner'. Drives great but does a lot of popping and spitting when closing the throttle.
I also got the stock exhaust with the bike. I put it on to try it out. Drives OK but not as 'clean'. After a while I noticed the pipes getting blue so it was running too rich so I put the straights on again and been driving with it for a year now. Never touched the carbs, same jets. Replaced main tire a while ago and the mechanic told me I was running too lean, which just confirmed what I had thought all along.
Question is what to do? I have no idea what is in the carbs, what jets? Can I just replace the main jets which I understand can be done without taking the carbs off or??? On my Viragos I used to take the carbs off and on a dozen times, but I have no experience with the Vstar which I understand are quite different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 01:24 PM

Garage
You need to read this: https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...g/carb-jetting. Make sure you open and read the .pdf file, "The JETTING BIBLE".

Carbs must be removed to rejet. Will also have to make adjustments to PMS (pilot mixture screw). It's easy.

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews

Last edited by redcat; 04-19-2015 at 01:27 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 02:17 PM

The VStar is a direct descendant of the Virago. I never heard the carbs were dramatically different. Where is that from? Once you get real good with a carb you could probably change the jets without taking it off, but if you're going all the way in you might as well put it on the bench and clean it at the same time.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 04:52 PM

Change the jets with the carbs on? Really? I'd almost pay to see that!!

2009 1100 Classic
Memphis Fats Windshield
Cobra Slash Cuts
Hypercharger/pod-mod
4" floorboard extention
Mustang studded Hard bags
Showchrome sissy bar
Hopnel windshield bag
Stebel Nautilus Ear Cannon Horn
assorted chrome add-ons
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 05:09 PM

You can do it on a HSR42 easy. Not so easy with the airbox layout on the 1100.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relhoks View Post
I got my 2005 Vstar 1100 classic a year and a half ago with Hard Chrome straight pipes and Kuryakin 'Hypercharger Aircleaner'. Drives great but does a lot of popping and spitting when closing the throttle.
I also got the stock exhaust with the bike. I put it on to try it out. Drives OK but not as 'clean'. After a while I noticed the pipes getting blue so it was running too rich so I put the straights on again and been driving with it for a year now. Never touched the carbs, same jets. Replaced main tire a while ago and the mechanic told me I was running too lean, which just confirmed what I had thought all along.
Question is what to do? I have no idea what is in the carbs, what jets? Can I just replace the main jets which I understand can be done without taking the carbs off or??? On my Viragos I used to take the carbs off and on a dozen times, but I have no experience with the Vstar which I understand are quite different.
Sounds more like you need to start with a PMS adjustment. That will probably solve all of your issues. Try 1/4 - 3/4 turn out on each side for starters.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 04-19-2015 at 05:22 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
Sounds more like you need to start with a PMS adjustment. That will probably solve all of your issues. Try 1/4 - 3/4 turn out on each side for starters.
I'll try that. They may be 2 turns out. At least that is what Kuryakyn recommends and 125, 122.5 main jets. Have no idea what I should try if rejetting. Where is a good place to buy jets?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:57 PM

Unless you are experienced with Mikuni carbs and setting up Hyperchargers and have access to get AFR readings .. you're talking about a hell of a lot of guesswork.....and... if you are intent on going against what the manufacturer recommends...you're basically on your own. Good luck. You can get jets at any decent bike shop....

However.....IF the carbs are jetted the way they should be, there is another issue..... like a PMS adjustment....which is vitally important. With your set up, I'd be at 2 3/4 turns at least.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
Unless you are experienced with Mikuni carbs and setting up Hyperchargers and have access to get AFR readings .. you're talking about a hell of a lot of guesswork.....and... if you are intent on going against what the manufacturer recommends...you're basically on your own. Good luck. You can get jets at any decent bike shop....

However.....IF the carbs are jetted the way they should be, there is another issue..... like a PMS adjustment....which is vitally important. With your set up, I'd be at 2 3/4 turns at least.
I think you are telling me not to try but take my bike to a shop. What is 'AFR'??
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 12:03 PM

What Mick is telling you is go by the instructions in the kit and use the jets based on the intake and exhaust combination on your bike. If the correct jets are installed in your carbs then opening your PMS as suggested should solve your problem. AFR is air fuel ratio. If you are just adding your own jets you would need a dyno and the ability to check your ARF to tune the bike to its peak. The folks that make and sell the kits have already done that work for you. That's why they include instructions for different intake/exhaust set-ups. Now you could pull the carbs and verify what jets are in there, as well as needle and PMS settings. Then you know exactly what you are starting with. But as suggested, start by opening the pms a little and see what you get. If the problems go away, you just saved yourself a bunch of needless work and time you could have been riding. You don't need to take it to a shop to do this. With Mick's help, the 1100KB page and others here, I just rejetted and changed my intake successfully. If I can do it anyone can!

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode