Luggage Ideas - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Luggage Ideas

I have a 2005 1100 classic. Bought used from original owner last year. It currently has a solo mustang seat on it (picture below) I do have original passenger seat, sissy bar, and saddle bags.

I am looking at some accessories to make overnight/weekend trips more enjoyable and would love some advice. Will probably be getting a Memphis Shades Batwing as soon as I can find someone to paint it to match, and then some highway bars/engine guard.

Any one got ideas on luggage? I was considering two routes:

1) I could toss the passenger seat on when planning a trip and just use something like a Saddlemen BR1800 (Or br3400) which can mount under seat without using sissy bar. My concerns here would be is just using under seat secure enough without sissy bar? And are there good ways to keep passenger seat (and the bracket) from scratching up the fender?

2) I could get some large saddlebags and not mess with the seat.

Any thoughts,suggestions, ideas, jokes, or criticism will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 05:36 PM

Garage
I bought a used batwing fairing and National Cycle Cruiseliner bags, and had them painted to match the bike, so I like where you're headed.

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 07:03 AM
Lifetime Premium

How about getting a big rear chromed luggage rack that spans the rear fender, leave that installed. Then you can get a rear touring bag to use for trips when needed?

I got a Tour Master , you can unstrap it and bring it inside a hotel. All sorts of sizes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0422150708.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	43250

Mine is small, says it holds 10lbs. But it came with the bike. I'm sure they make bigger ones with a 'back rest' cause you do need it to strap the bags in. I mean, it'd be no different than just putting your existing seat/sissybar on. BUT, not sure what you want. If you just prefer the look of no rear seat, and if you wouldn't mind spending the money for a big rack, and wouldn't mind having that on permanently. I'll never have a passenger, and wouldn't mind removing my rear seat/sissybar and the small rack, and just getting one big one so I can attach my bag when needed. But that's a one day project, needless accessory. Cause why buy a rack and do the work, when the rear seat/sissybar accomplishes the same thing (holding my bag). Just something to piddle with and change for the hell of it and waste money I guess.

(BTW I don't put my big bag on that little rack, the bag empty is 10lbs) Just posted it for a visual.

And after googling the Saddlemen BR1800, ya, I wouldn't use it, or my Tour master or any of the those luggage types w/o a backrest. Mine has other straps aside from the backrest strap, but they're for extra stability (mines a big arse bag). OR... get some cloth, cut to size, cut holes for mounts, then mount your seat? I can't remember if the fender under my rear seat on my 650 was any kind of scratched or worn. Haven't taken the rear seat off my 950 yet.

I dunno, just some ideas. Rambling cause its morning time and I have nothing else to do

.:'09 Vstar 950T:.

VOTE for the BikeOfTheMonth It only takes a moment and you get to check out a bunch of great scoots! Participate all you rascals!

Last edited by Mr Schaefer Pants; 04-22-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Schaefer Pants View Post
How about getting a big rear chromed luggage rack that spans the rear fender, leave that installed. Then you can get a rear touring bag to use for trips when needed?
Thats the ticket. Heck you'd be amazed how much you can get on that bike this way, along with some bungies where you can strap stuff on the rear passenger seat using the saddle bag mount studs to secure it.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 06:38 PM
Lifetime Premium

No kidding. I'm sure my tour master holds more than both my saddle bags.

Oh, and btw, a backpack holds a bunch of stuff too. And its not annoying to wear while riding. I used my assault pack for a while going to work everyday last year.

.:'09 Vstar 950T:.

VOTE for the BikeOfTheMonth It only takes a moment and you get to check out a bunch of great scoots! Participate all you rascals!

Last edited by Mr Schaefer Pants; 04-22-2015 at 06:47 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Interesting comments. I have a large barrel pack and two smaller cooler packs positioned where the saddlebags would be.
The cooler packs are great. The barrel pack although large it wants to collapse on itself. (not rigid enough).

So looking for alternate options I found a pair of hard bags to replace the cooler packs and will move the cooler packs to be used on the luggage rack and possibly up front on the fork.

The hard bags are 17" L 11.5" H and 6" thick Flip up lids with locks.
I'm going to paint them to match the bikes new color scheme.
I have some paint left over so that works well for me.

Pic shows the current setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	43298  

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the comments, definitely giving me some good ideas.

I did see this fender luggage rack as I was looking for ideas. Didn't know about having it rounded though, seemed like it'd make for less secure mount but look better.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/st...TR-5KS51-20-00
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Kragster, Do not pay $130 for that... You can find these on Ebay for way less.

You may check the for sale section on this site for people parting out.

Some of these aftermarket vendors sell at way inflated prices. Or they rape you on shipping charges.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 06:29 PM

Off topic: Thats a darn sharp looking 1100 you've got there.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoRider00 View Post
Kragster, Do not pay $130 for that... You can find these on Ebay for way less.

You may check the for sale section on this site for people parting out.

Some of these aftermarket vendors sell at way inflated prices. Or they rape you on shipping charges.
Yeah wasn't looking to buy that exact one. Just first one I saw that had a photo of what I found for fender racks.

jbasile: thanks, when I was looking last year and saw this one I jumped on it because I loved the color. And the previous owner was a motivated seller so got a really good deal on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode