How to determine if your Rectifier is going bad ? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
How to determine if your Rectifier is going bad ?

Hey members, Just wanted some info on the 650 rectifier .

I rode my bike last weekend and trying to start it today for a ride the battery was low. No start.

I have not changed the battery or Rectifier since I've had it ( 1 year)
Was told the battery was about a year old ( would be 2 now )

So how do you know if the rectifier needs to be replaced ?

I have heard it is common to replace it when the battery gets changed.

Update : I charged the battery and rode for a good 12 miles or so.
Bike started right back up no problem. I'm going to try it again in the morning and see if it's holding charge.

Any help on this would be sweet...

jake

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 08:51 PM

Just do a voltage test.... your shop manual should tell you where it should be. I know the 1100 should be 12.8 at idle and about 14.6 at 3000 RPM, not sure about the 650

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Thanks Mick, I do have the shop manual and will take a look at what it shows in terms of tests related to this. Normally the bike has sat for a week and will crank right up. So this is new.

I will keep the board posted on what the out come is.

jake

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 09:57 PM

You may want to have the battery load tested too....

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Great idea, I have a load tester at work I can hook it to.

The battery is an interstate AGM. But no date code is on it.
I can only assume it's actual age. Plus the bike sat a lot while
going through the paint job. Rather then risk a no start away from the house I would rather check into another battery.

What is a good reliable brand of AGM thats not too expensive ?

I saw a few for $60 but is that a lot or a good deal...

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 08:55 AM

I've had great luck with Yuasa and Scorpion. Check your local retailers and Batterystuff.com....and I'm sure there are a lot of others selling batteries. Don't be afraid to spend a fair amount on one. You usually get what you pay for.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 09:05 AM

Since you say the battery is an Interstate AGM, I'd take it to the Interstate battery outlet. They can undoubtedly figure out the date code, and test the battery too.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Thanks guys for the info. All of this will be determined by what this battery does. If not holding a charge or my rectifier took a dump.

I need to check up stream from the battery first, Then if need be purchase a new battery and a tender with a charge light.

My current one has no lights so it's hard to tell what it's doing.
And it's only 500 ma. Trickle and old.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 02:16 PM

Thumbs up Charging

Resto-A bad or weak battery can stress the charging diodes by drawing maximum charging current all the time and overheating occurs. While the engine is running(idling), and you can read at least 14v on the DC meter at the battery terminals, the charger is working correctly and I wouldn't replace it. This may take a few seconds to build to 14v and that's OK. Charger/regulators are generally very durable these days and will take some hard use as long as they are not shorted or wired incorrectly in the first place. My2cts.

250 Virago V-Twin 2009 5000mi.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Well on these bikes the battery is not charging at idle speeds.

We are working on the problem and will report back soon with more details...

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode