Engine mounting bolt size on 2008 XV250 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Engine mounting bolt size on 2008 XV250

I plan on adding rubber washers to the 3 engine mounting bolts on my Vstar 250 to try and reduce engine vibration. There is a guy with a webpage elsewhere online with instructions on how to do it, however he mentions that the bolt size is 3/8 inch which after I checked realized is larger than whats on my bike, not to mention not metric like I assume my stock ones would be. Can anyone confirm the size of the stock bolts on an 2008 Vstar 250?

Thanks,
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 05:06 PM

Garage
looks like the front mount bolt that goes through the engine is pn 95814-08150-00. which means it is 8mm x 150mm. looks like the bolts that hold the mount to the frame are also 8mm. the 10mm (close to 3/8) bolt is on the footrest attachments to the frame

hope that helps
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 05:16 PM

Garage
ok...I think I found the instructions on the "rubber mount" for the xv250. he did the mod to his honda cm400. but you could try and do it to the xv. just make the hole the same size as the mount bolt, 8mm. toilet tank rubber washers would probably be perfect. iirc the 250 doest have an upper mount, just the 3 on the bottom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuddha76 View Post
ok...I think I found the instructions on the "rubber mount" for the xv250. he did the mod to his honda cm400. but you could try and do it to the xv. just make the hole the same size as the mount bolt, 8mm. toilet tank rubber washers would probably be perfect. iirc the 250 doest have an upper mount, just the 3 on the bottom.
I was able to find rubber washers that are 5/16. Thats just a hair smaller than 8MM so I will use those. As far as the engine mounting bolt itself, the factory bolt is 6 inches. To accommodate the additional rubber and metal washers I am going to order a 8mm grade 8 bolt about 170mm, which is about 6.5 inches. The extra half inch should give me the length I need. So far the only place I can source it is from Fastenal.com. Nobody else online anywhere seems to have it. Its a hard size to find. The other issue is there is no space between block and engine mounting bracket for the washers. To remedy that I will shim the engine mounting brackets out a 1/8 to a 1/4 inch with some metal washers. Might have to replace the brackets mounting bolts with slightly longer ones as well if they then come to short to use the factory bolts with the washers. But that should pick me up the space I need between the brackets and the block to fit the rubber and metal washers.

Yea, you are correct, there are two in the back, a middle and a lower and then one lower in the front.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 09:23 PM

Garage
looks like the front bolt is 150mm and the rears are 110mm. you could just try and change the yamaha pn's to the mm size you want. just make sure the parts guy you talk to isnt a dolt. some parts guys will only look up a bike and not order part numbers. and as for bolt grade, in metric if you are looking for an SAE grade 8 the metric equivalent is 10.8. SAE grade 5 is metric 8.8

Last edited by BigBuddha76; 04-29-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode