Turn signal problem - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Turn signal problem

I have a 2006 v star silverado 1100 and my right front turn signal stopped working. So I took it apart and found that the ground wire was broken in two. I replaced the right front turn signal and when the key is on the right front turn signal light stays lit but the left front isn't on. When I flash the left turn signals both the front and rear flash normally and it's the same on the right side. I know both front turn signal lights are also marker lights and they're suppose to stay on while the bike is on. I don't know what I did wrong to make the left side not work. The only wires I disconnected was for the front right. Does anyone have a clue what I need to do next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 07:13 PM
eGo

Almost sounds like it's wired backwards, perhaps? Not really sure..
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here what it looks like when the key is on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 10:19 PM
eGo

Yah, to me it would seem that the circuit for that light is backwards.. So it's getting power when it should be getting a ground.. Could be something as simple as the wires in the new light were wired backwards.. I'd double check the wiring and make sure it's all going to the right places..
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I rechecked everything and it seems like everything is hooked up properly. I even checked all my bulbs and they're all correct. It seems like the left light (which is the light on the right in the picture) isn't getting constant power but it's hooked up to the same wire the other side is. I really don't understand why it's not working correctly.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 09:17 AM
eGo

Yah, I'm not sure.. I'll ask my father when I see him, he's an electronics technician and he may be able to offer some insight or at least a place to start..
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 12:03 PM

Try swapping bulb positions and see if the problem follows the bulb. COuld be just bad filament.

Sonysnek
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I finally found the problem. After looking at the schematics over and over again I got frustrated and called my local Yamaha dealer to order a new turn signal. After I did that I disassembled the light all the down to the socket. I even took the socket out of the turn signal housing and by hooking the socket up directly to the battery I discovered that the blue wire (which is the constant power while key is on) was bad. It's amazing how both my front turn signals went bad at the same time and it all started with me getting new tires.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 09:01 PM
eGo

Yay! Glad you figured it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode