Does a 650 have a high idle RPM? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Does a 650 have a high idle RPM?

Hey guys, I'm noticing now that it's quite warm outside that once the bike is hot from running on the highway for 20 - 30 minutes and I am at a light in first, clutch all the way in, the idle seems very high. Is this normal for a 650? I have a 2000.

Thanks,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 04:15 PM

how high of an idle do you think you are at? My idle is is pretty well set, unfortunately I do mine by ear if it's ever off.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 09:17 PM

Garage
generally not high. if your idle increases with increasing temp, you are lean. what other mods have you made?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuddha76 View Post
generally not high. if your idle increases with increasing temp, you are lean. what other mods have you made?
I definitely don't think it's running lean... the carbs were rejetted and tuned for a Hypercharger and HK DDs exhaust and the exhaust was removed but the jets stayed. It's also backfiring a bit, so it's running rich. I'll put the exhaust back on once I'm done the probation on my permit, I don't want to attract any extra police attention lol!

I called my bro and he thinks way back when he may have sped up the idle, so I'll need to check the book on how to turn it down a bit and see how it acts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeofmystery View Post
how high of an idle do you think you are at? My idle is is pretty well set, unfortunately I do mine by ear if it's ever off.
That's just it, I can only go by ear and this is my first bike, but if this was a car, I'd guess it was working at 1500 RPM give or take once the bike is warmed up and driven for a few minutes. When you first start up and close the choke after a minute, the idle speed seems fine... but once I drive it for a few minutes and stop at a red light, it's running pretty fast imo.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 09:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
I definitely don't think it's running lean... the carbs were rejetted and tuned for a Hypercharger and HK DDs exhaust and the exhaust was removed but the jets stayed. It's also backfiring a bit, so it's running rich.
actually, both rich and lean can cause backfiring, each for different reasons.

you left the HC on but went back to stock exhaust. the HC will flow alot of air, but without the exhaust moving freely there is much less scavenging which affects combustion chamber flow, and vacuum through the carbs. this will then affect the slide operation. flowing less fuel through main jets and the idle jets. as a temporary fix I would turn the fms out a quarter turn until theissue stops
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 01:22 AM

Dan, adjust idle when hot engine. When I put choke off after a ~ minute (cold engine), idle is very low. Engine is not warm enough for corrrect idle level what is when hot engine.
I use my diy throtle locker to keep idle rpm nice when warming up engine (couple of minutes)

Br. kane

DragStar Classic 1100 -04
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 04:21 AM

have you tried adjusting the idle thumb knob just under the tank near the shut off? Its a simple adjust. see if it helps. my 2 cents anyway.

2007 Star 650 / 2004 Star 1100
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Kane67 is correct. Idle adjust when hot. Colder engine idle will be lower until warm up.

Keep choke open slightly to keep colder engine idling high enough so it does not stall.

Adjustment knob is behind the petcock under the (front) carb.

Get the hot idle set to how you like it or 1050 to 1150 RPM.

Mine will run around 850 to 900 with the choke off and cold.
At least for the first 3-5 minutes or so.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 09:39 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode