Clutch freeplay, need some clarification.... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Clutch freeplay, need some clarification....

I've got a question for you all.
I just swapped my clutch, and I'm second guessing my freeplay adjustment, I need some clarification from those in the know.

My Haynes manual had 10-15mm freeplay until I "feel resistance", it's the resistance in asking about.

Is the freeplay supposed to be the amount of any/all slack in the cable?; or is it supposed to be once the "real" resistance is felt from the clutch springs?

At first I tried doing it as the freeplay accounting for additional slack in the line from any form of even the slightest resistance. In other words, if I release the clutch slowly enough, the lever will always have that small v shaped gap between the lever and the perch and never go all the way forward unless pushed forward. The problem is, when I do it that way, the gears are a beotch to shift. Very hard and it's almost like forcing the shifts. Almost impossible to find neutral. So I'm thinking that's not right.

When, on the other hand I adjust it so that is 10-15mm of slight resistance before you feel the resistance from the springs engaging; well then it shifts beautifully, finding neutral is not (as much of)a chore. My only concern is that if I eliminated too much freeplay that I might burn out the new clutch.

Not sure if it matters but I do have a clever lever on it. (Not sure if the geometry affects how much freeplay one should have).

For what is worth, the spring engagement point is right when the arrow meets the center of the dot, if I let the line go slack it stops around the righthand most outer circumference of the dot. (I'm taking about the arrow and dot at the end of the clutch cable).

I know this is a fairly rudimentary question, but I just want to get it right before I do some major damage.

(Almost forgot 1999 650 classic, 65K miles)

Last edited by Chinaheart; 05-08-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 09:04 PM

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xQIFnXby4LfJ9g thought there was a clutch rod adjustment.i'm not familar with the 650 but there should be an adjustment other than the cable, did clymers say anything about the rod?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 09:18 PM

Garage
there is adjustment at the rod. at the top and bottom of the cable. the adjustment for the rod is on the clutch pressure plate

check page 3-19 in the factory repair manual for clutch cable and 4-41 for clutch pressure plate

Last edited by BigBuddha76; 05-08-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 06:13 AM

by having free play at the rod makes sure the clutch gets fully engaged,then adjusting the cable enables the clutch to be fully disengaged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode