Need help . Bike won't run!! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Need help . Bike won't run!!

Hey guys I'm been lurking for a few weeks reading and researching, but I've hit a wall. Background info. I recently purchased a 2002 vstar 650 custom with 15,135 miles. The bike was hard to start but would finally give way and run ( ran poorly so figured carbs were dirty). Pulled the carbs they were very dirty. I bench synced the carbs, and I cleaned them very well. Put them back on and it won't start. Eventually I found a vacuum leak on the carb holders. I replaced thinking that would solve it but nope��. I've check my voltage while cranking so the battery is good. The only way I can get it to run is if I take the filter off and pretty much choke it all the way by hand over the air filter opening. But it will not idle with the filter on. It has stock air intake, stock pipes, fresh gas, new fuel filter.. Ais has been removed, no air leaks spigot holes plugged with .45 casings. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 05:26 AM

when you choke it by hand its pulling fuel in from somewhere,i would double check the needle jets blow them out with good carb cleaner
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 01:14 PM

Don't forget to clean the side holes in the pilot jets. There is no accelerator pump on those carbs so twisting the throttle won't add fuel.....it can only come from the choke (enrichener) or the pilot jets. If small side holes are plugged, they won't work.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I got to thinking last night that maybe the pilot jet was still clogged up . I'm going to pull it back off tomorrow and check. If the floats are set too low or high could that cause the problem as well. I didn't pay much attention to the float level. Thanks again.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 03:34 PM

Something is definitely still clogged. re-check the jets for sure. I recently cleaned a set of carbs and the best way in my opinion is to remove the bowls, floats, jets, diaphragms ect and then soak it in diesel overnight. It will deeply clean them. get some carb cleaner and when you pull them off use the entire can and blast and re-blast every square in of them. then if you can get a good air compressor, blow out every jet hole there is. You should be able to see diesel/carb cleaner blast out of the holes your spraying air into. then soak your bowls and jets in diesel as well for a few hours. come back and blast air through the ends of them as well, just hold on tight. If you don't have an air compressor or cant get the air to clean them out get some thin guitar string and try to work them through the holes. I've battled jets like that over the course of two days to get the string through there but it worked, and you might push it through sooner who knows. It's most definitely the carbs though. carefully inspect each hole or orifice, jets like to hide. I had a set that was very old that dirt had formed over the jet and the rain water/ weather caused the dirt to stain the color of aluminum somehow. after tearing them apart 15 times I took a small pin to each opening and found it was dirt. crazy I know but they hide good
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 03:36 PM

just to clarify, soak the carbs in diesel. Not the diaphragms or any rubber parts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 08:16 PM

Clean the carbs again. Not uncommon to have to disassemble and soak and blow everything a second time to get them working properly. But make sure everything is also reassembled properly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode