Rear LED signals stay on solid... what the heck?! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Rear LED signals stay on solid... what the heck?!

OK so I finally bought some 1156 and 1157 LED bulbs for my turn signals on my 2000 650 classic. The first thing I did was confirm that quick flashing issue when you go to LEDs, so I installed the front turn signal lights first, which are on solid, and blink when you signal a turn. Sure enough, they blink quickly. So, it was time to follow this tutorial and change to an electro-mechnical turn signal relay:

http://www.650ccnd.com/mods/flasher.htm

Super easy to do, took 2 minutes. Tried again and it works GREAT, the front LED signal lights are now working as expected with the correct timing.

Next up, I install the rear turn signals... now under normal circumstances, the rear turn signals don't stay on constantly when the bike is on, they only turn on when a signal light is activated and it blinks. Well, when I install the rear LED signal lights and press the turn signal button, the rear signals stay on solid instead of blinking! WTF?? And BOTH turn on solid, not just the side I activated. Push the turn signal button, the lights turn off. If I remove the LEDs and put the filament bulbs back in, everything works fine.

Anyone have any idea what the issue is? I wanted so long to get all the parts in, I was pretty frustrated with this.

I did try out a couple of things before I got fed up:

1. I tried just putting one rear LED signal bulb in at a time, the signals don't work. I tried with no LEDs in the rear turn signal lights, again doesn't work. I tried two different pairs of LEDs in the rear signal lights, again, same behavior with both turning on solid.

So by 10PM I was pretty pissed off, so I left the bike with LEDs in the front and filament bulbs in the back so that my signals were working when I took the bike out today. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 01:41 PM

Garage
I was told that if you install LEDs that you have to install a load equalizer also. I don't know if that would fix your problem but that was what someone told me. I was deciding on installing LEDs on my bike but after someone told me that and pricing new lights I decided on sticking to stock lights.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre607 View Post
I was told that if you install LEDs that you have to install a load equalizer also. I don't know if that would fix your problem but that was what someone told me. I was deciding on installing LEDs on my bike but after someone told me that and pricing new lights I decided on sticking to stock lights.
Right, so that's why I replaced the signal relay with an electro-mechanical one, you no longer need to fiddle with resistors/load equalizers. Going to try some other stuff when I get time but so far I have no clue why this is borked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 03:21 PM

I have always had to buy a flash relay for custom LED blinkers. Cost like $8 off ebay. If your going from bulb to LED that's one thing you'll need. Also custom blinkers sometimes come with 1 more wire than you have on your lights or 1 less wire. This can create confusion for the relays. What you have done is wired your rear lights to running lights or the signal it's getting is incorrect. Sometimes the front blinkers run to the flasher signal on the speedo and then they talk to the rear blinkers. I had that happen on a bike recently and the only way to fix it is to get diodes and bypass it or cut the wire that sends the signal to your blinker indicators. Look up LED blinker diode fix on google. You can literally hook them up a million ways but if you don't have a flash relay your CPU wont understand the signals. get that $8 dollar flash relay and it will fix the problem 90% of the time.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Merc View Post
I have always had to buy a flash relay for custom LED blinkers. Cost like $8 off ebay. If your going from bulb to LED that's one thing you'll need. Also custom blinkers sometimes come with 1 more wire than you have on your lights or 1 less wire. This can create confusion for the relays. What you have done is wired your rear lights to running lights or the signal it's getting is incorrect. Sometimes the front blinkers run to the flasher signal on the speedo and then they talk to the rear blinkers. I had that happen on a bike recently and the only way to fix it is to get diodes and bypass it or cut the wire that sends the signal to your blinker indicators. Look up LED blinker diode fix on google. You can literally hook them up a million ways but if you don't have a flash relay your CPU wont understand the signals. get that $8 dollar flash relay and it will fix the problem 90% of the time.
I actually didn't run any wires, the signal wires are totall stock, I only changed the relay to an electro-mechanical, which is supposed to negate the need for additional relays.

In the end I'll just leave it as is, it's working fine on the front and the back I'll just leave the filaments Gotta pick your battles lol!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 08:17 PM

Garage
I believe you'll need to use isolation diodes if you want to have LED lights. I've not seen a relay that would do that job.

03 V-Star 1100 Custom
83 KZ 1100 Spectre
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesstehle View Post
I believe you'll need to use isolation diodes if you want to have LED lights. I've not seen a relay that would do that job.
The Electro-mechanical actually works fine for the front... just the rears that aren't working.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 01:05 PM

I could not get the Grote flasher to work, maybe a bad unit. I got a flasher unit from Custom Dynamics. All lights flashed. Called their support, I needed the diode kit because we have a single indicator bulb on the speedo. See this thread of mine for more info.
https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=66785

This explains it
http://www.customdynamics.com/pdf/MD...ch%20sheet.pdf
Basically, the indicator light acted as valve. It would let some electricity through to the other side but not enough to light up incandescence bulbs. It is enough power to light the LEDs.

I didn't try the Grote relay after doing the diode. That could be causing your problem because the electricity is not flowing as intended/expected.
The wires you need under the speedo are the dark green and chocolate wires (as they are labelled in the wiring diagram). I cut and soldered mine. However, if you don't want to solder you can use something like Positaps.

2000 Yamaha Vstar Classic 650
2013 Victory Cross Country

Last edited by SirPoonga; 05-21-2015 at 01:09 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Hi SirPoonga, thank you for the links! It basically re-enforces my decision to just leave it as is lol! I used a different flash relay than the Grote (it was half the price) and I'm happy with my front's working with LED and leaving the filament in the back. At least when I did this, the slight dimming of my brake light in time with the signal blinking is gone, which was ultimately my goal.

Thanks
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode