How much gear whine is normal ? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
How much gear whine is normal ?

I know this question has been asked a good many times.

But how do you determine how much gear whine is normal ?

Only in 5th gear ?

Are the 650's known for this whine in lower gears too....

I just wonder if what I hear is typical or something headed toward failure....

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 02:38 AM

I get o lot of noise when at idle but dont notice unless i listen for it. Other than that the pipes drown out all noise unless im doin 70 in fifth. Almost sounds like a whirring/chirping sound. Very subtle and first thought it was my helmet makin a little racket.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
No this sound is tied directly to the forward movement.

At idle sitting still you hear nothing but engine. At any speeds above
20 to 25 mph the gear whine starts to become louder.
Letting off the gas in gear clutch out will lessen the whine.
Rear case has been serviced recently. Ride seems normal.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 03:05 PM

I don't know how to tell you how loud mine is in mechanical terms, but I have long drag pipes on my 1300 tourer and I can easily hear the whine over the pipes at anything over 35-40 MPH. It definitely is gearbox/tranny because it is not there at a stop. I am not too experienced with Yamaha bikes having just purchased mine last fall, but everything I read in forum posts online says that it is normal. I asked the salesman at the dealer I bought it from (bought it from him privately - very nice guy) and he said that is typical of Yamahas. Asked the mechanics at the dealer near where I live (where I got the 16K service done) and they said the same thing. They test rode it when it was in for service and said that there was no concern and that the whine is typical in the Star bikes. That was good enough for me.

Sometimes I feel like it is too loud, but everyone around me is telling me that it is normal and not to worry about it.. so I don't.

'09 Vstar 1300 Tourer Galaxy Blue
New to me in 2014

"From thumb throttles to twist throttles in 35 years"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 03:33 PM

My 650 makes that sound pretty much out of second onwards... I call them my "birds" lol! I keep wishing I could modify my exhaust to drown out that sound with something a bit manlier hehe I assume that's why they say the 650 sounds like a sewing machine.

Last edited by DanR; 05-20-2015 at 05:13 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Well all these comments make me feel better anyway. So most likely what I hear is normal and no cause for concern.

If something was tearing up it must be one god awefull sound to witness in person....

Trying to listen to my stereo is being drowned by this "Cry Baby"
Whining away under me. I'm working on putting speakers in my full face helmet to let me the hear the rear two channels through my helmet. And still have the front two channels on the speakers up by the handlebars.

Thanks guys, at this point I don't think anything is wrong but the sound kind of bothered me for some time now.

jake

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 05:22 PM

Yep, first time I rode the bike after I got it from my brother, I thought something was seriously wrong lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode