help replaced my starter clutch and now front cam timing out - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down help replaced my starter clutch and now front cam timing out

So I been looking for an anwser to this and can't find it...
we( a friend that restores vintage bikes and is a bike mechanic and my self) took my bike apart to do the starter clutch. the balance puller broke and the crank moved of timing on us

Were having a problem getting the cams timed to the crank seem to be a Lil off each time. We been messing with the timing for 3 hours..
yes we have the shop manual but still eludes us can some one let us know we're we gotta get to please
were at our wits end unfortunately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 05:46 PM

I just put the starter clutch in on my bike. I have a clymers manual as well. Make sure to remove the spark plugs, it will make turning the engine over MUCH easier if you haven't already done so. Make sure to mark the edge of the tooth on either side of the timing mark so you can locate the mark as you install the flywheel. Also if you haven't already make sure you have removed the rear cam sprocket cover from the cylinder head. Now throw the flywheel nut on the crankshaft and bar over the engine a few times until the woodruff key on the crankshaft aligns with the dot on the cam chain drive assembly. (the gear just up and to the right of the crankshaft) While doing this, the rear cam sprocket also has a single dot on it(it's timing mark. It lines up with a sharp pointer on the rear cylinder head. You will have to bar it over a few times for them to align. Once they are both aligned your good to put on your starter clutch. Make sure you have found the T mark on the flywheel and marked it with something like a paint marker. After you have it on put the alternator cover back on and see if the flywheel aligns through the cut out in the alternator cover. Let me know if your still having issues.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

By doing that ( lining up the crank shafts with the back cylinder) will the front cylinder be in sync?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 06:00 PM

yes sir, have you taken off the cam sprocket cover on the rear head? it's two allen key bolts. very easy
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Yes we have both cam covers off and the clutch cover too
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

There is 2 dots on the fly wheel.. a single dot and a double dot what one are we trying to time too
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 06:11 PM

Here's your checklist.

1. make sure the timing gear is in line on the flywheel assembly
2. align the dot on the cam chain drive assembly( the gear just up and to the right of the crankshaft) with the woodruff key( the small metal key that's seated on the crankshaft).
While doing this you have to have eyes on the rear cam sprocket. If it's out of line then you must continue to bar it over. It will take a few times barring it over to align it.
3. install the flywheel assembly
Now when your putting the flywheel back on it wont fully seat until you align the small gear behind the cam chain drive. to do this take a phillips head small enough to fit in that hole and pry it up and then push the flywheel assembly in
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

We can get the double dots to like to the rear cam gear but not the single dot
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 06:16 PM

The clymers manual says to align it with the single dot.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 06:17 PM

If I remember correctly my 2003 wouldn't line up correctly with the single dot on the cam chain drive either so I aligned it with the 2 dots. It's the only way it would line up with timing. I checked and re-checked the alignment and everything was perfect on mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode