Highway Bars and Seats - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Highway Bars and Seats

Hey all

New rider with a recently acquired 2005 V-Star 650 Silverado Classic

I want to add crash bars to my ride and saw some pretty cool looking ones online

I have attached some photos, anyone know what manufacturer/model these are in the pic?

Im guessing they are two different models -
mini(?)highway bars and fat highway bars??

Also after riding every weekend for a month my tailbone is killing me after 40-50 miles and have to take a break and walk it off.
Never had any back issues before.
Im trying lots of different riding positions and trying not to arch my back.
I weigh 150lb and 5"11.
I see a lot of people like the Mustang seats but those are expensive,
any people have any luck just adding a backrest?

Thanks for any help for a newbie!

Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 10.09.13 AM.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	44241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-05-04 at 10.50.29 PM.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	44249  

Last edited by moondog33; 05-18-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 02:16 PM

I may get shot for this...but I would ride the 650 for a season before doing any expensive highway bar or seat upgrades. The CCitis sends to set in fast and a first bike is rarely your last bike. You will never get back what you paid in modding a bike when you sell it. Ride it the summer and then spend the winter modding it if you see yourself on it long term. I thought I'd have my 650 a long time...ended up selling it at the beginning of my second season when I fell in love with the Roadstar. #nolookingback #lovemyroadie

Annie
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 07:18 PM

Check thepropad.com for gel pads for your seat. I added a propad to mine and my pillion seat and both are much more comfortable. They won't take out the bumps but they will get rid of numb butt. If bumps are too harsh you may need to adjust the preload on your suspension. It might need softening up to keep your back from taking all the jolts. This may be especially true if the previous owner rode 2up a lot. He may have stiffened the preload for the extra weight. Cheaper than a new seat to try out.

Highway bars, freeway bars or engine guards (most of us avoid the term crash bars) are a nice addition. Add highway pegs to the bars and you can change your seating position and help your legs too. I added the cobra fatty freeway bars and kuryakyn longhorn offset pegs to my 1300 Deluxe. They made a world of difference.

I'm no expert by any means but I'm guessing you have photos of the cobra brand bars but there are several similar brands.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 06:31 AM

Those bars in the pics are either COBRA or MC enterprise. Hard to say since you can't see the front. I have the COBRA on my 650.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	44313   Click image for larger version

Name:	650 gaurd.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	44321   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine gaurd.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	44329   Click image for larger version

Name:	v star.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	44337  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Annie
Thanks for the advice,
I live in LA, so the riding season is all year long - the only drawback is you have to deal with LA drivers who have to be the worst in the nation with their addiction to texting and driving....everywhere you look drivers heads are buried in their phones glancing up every now and then ....

I hear what you are saying about avoiding too much mods to new ride but I definitely need something for the seat support as I can't go very far without tailbone getting numb

Slayer - Will definitely check out the gel pads, those might be exactly what I need.
Thanks for the link!
The highway pegs sound good too but wouldn't that position put even more weight on your tailbone?

Dave - Those Cobra highway bars look like the ones in my pics, thanks - are those easy to install?

Jon
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 01:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog33 View Post
Annie
Thanks for the advice,
I live in LA, so the riding season is all year long - the only drawback is you have to deal with LA drivers who have to be the worst in the nation with their addiction to texting and driving....everywhere you look drivers heads are buried in their phones glancing up every now and then ....

I hear what you are saying about avoiding too much mods to new ride but I definitely need something for the seat support as I can't go very far without tailbone getting numb

Slayer - Will definitely check out the gel pads, those might be exactly what I need.
Thanks for the link!
The highway pegs sound good too but wouldn't that position put even more weight on your tailbone?

Dave - Those Cobra highway bars look like the ones in my pics, thanks - are those easy to install?

Jon
You're far from the first to criticize the stock seat. Mustang seats are pricey, but worth it. Whole different world of comfort IMHO.

No experience with gel pads, but I suspect they're more effective at curing numb-butt than back pain. A backrest can't hurt, but may not fix the problem. On my bike, the backrest is set to the furthest-back position. I'm not normally resting against it when riding; it's more an "occasionally stretch back, let the backrest take some weight, change up the position" aid.

Your arm and leg length matters too. I'm 6' and find my 1100 with Mustang seat offers a very comfortable position. Longer/Shorter arms and your lean/reach will be different. It may be that adjusting/changing the handlebars will be what matters. I know if my arms were a few inches shorter and I was having to lean forward/reach more for the bars, I'd likely be less comfortable.

As others here say, you'll not get back your investment on customizations, and you may not have this bike forever... If you can do free/cheap stuff like adjust bars, start with that. If it works, great. If not, THEN spend money.

As to the highway bars, I have and very much like them. Depending on how/where you ride, the ability to put your legs up on highway pegs might even fix your whole problem. I find that being able to move/modify my position is what really leads to best comfort.

As to the "crash bars" element... Companies certainly avoid using the term for liability purposes. And they're NOT some sort of free pass... However: although I've not laid a bike down in many, many years, when I did there were no bars and my knee is what got between the bike and the road. I'd probably not have titanium pins in my leg today if I'd had the bars.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 04:45 PM

The COBRA bar is extremely easy to install, pretty much just a bolt on job. A second person is quite helpful though to help hold it as you're attaching it. I think cycleplicity.com has them for around $150 (or did anyway).
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 08:23 AM
eGo

Welcome from Southern MD!!!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
You're far from the first to criticize the stock seat. Mustang seats are pricey, but worth it. Whole different world of comfort IMHO.

No experience with gel pads, but I suspect they're more effective at curing numb-butt than back pain. A backrest can't hurt, but may not fix the problem. On my bike, the backrest is set to the furthest-back position. I'm not normally resting against it when riding; it's more an "occasionally stretch back, let the backrest take some weight, change up the position" aid.

Your arm and leg length matters too. I'm 6' and find my 1100 with Mustang seat offers a very comfortable position. Longer/Shorter arms and your lean/reach will be different. It may be that adjusting/changing the handlebars will be what matters. I know if my arms were a few inches shorter and I was having to lean forward/reach more for the bars, I'd likely be less comfortable.

As others here say, you'll not get back your investment on customizations, and you may not have this bike forever... If you can do free/cheap stuff like adjust bars, start with that. If it works, great. If not, THEN spend money.

As to the highway bars, I have and very much like them. Depending on how/where you ride, the ability to put your legs up on highway pegs might even fix your whole problem. I find that being able to move/modify my position is what really leads to best comfort.

As to the "crash bars" element... Companies certainly avoid using the term for liability purposes. And they're NOT some sort of free pass... However: although I've not laid a bike down in many, many years, when I did there were no bars and my knee is what got between the bike and the road. I'd probably not have titanium pins in my leg today if I'd had the bars.
Thanks Casey
Changing the handlebars is something i hadn't thought about and not sure if its something I would feel confident about attempting without seeing it done before, maybe there are some youtube videos demonstrating how its done,
I am trying different riding positions - placing my feet on different positions on the floorboards,
though a position where I think my legs could take more of the weight would be having the tops of my feet on the back of floor boards but this isn't possible since there is a heel toe shifter installed on this bike so it prevents me from resting my left foot on back of floorboard

But stopped at lights, I'm stretching my back and leaning forward to loosen up....

Anyone know the make of this backrest in photo attached... looks great on this bike which is same as mine.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 10.55.57 PM.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	44449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 10.56.36 PM.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	44457  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The COBRA bar is extremely easy to install, pretty much just a bolt on job. A second person is quite helpful though to help hold it as you're attaching it. I think cycleplicity.com has them for around $150 (or did anyway).
Thanks Dave
I checked cycleplicity site but they didn't have any Cobra but had Show Chrome Highway bars for $150,
there are lots of Cobra bars available online though, fattys and normal size, is there much of a difference between both?

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode