uggggh :( headlight glass loose in housing. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

uggggh :( headlight glass loose in housing.

so yesterday started out great. fixed the oil leak i had and it worked! yay me....
was ringing most of the day checking on the leak i had but it was gone.. thinking to my self sweet now just got to keep her moving and clean..
on my way home last night ppl kept flashing there high beams at me.
i looked down not speeding and the high beams arnt on.
got home check for any weeping of oil.. and then was lookign to see what their problem was .. high beam works indicator comes on. low beam works what the hell...
so i knocked on the headlight and the glass moved inside the housing ... now i see what the problem is.
so took it apart and i see the tab on the headlight surround. and pushed it back in to place but dont seem to stay. put some dialectical tape on it to make it thicker but still dont stay. am i missing something? do i have to bend the tab a little? is there a clip missing?
any help would be awesome.. below is a pic of what im talking about i had to out the tab on it sorry for crappy artistry lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HEADLIGHT2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	44417  

Last edited by K Coleman; 05-20-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 10:58 AM

I had a rattling sound up near my headlight that sounded like breaking glass that was driving me NUTS...turned out to be the plastic clips on the end of the wiring - I tried several different things before finally adding some foam packing material. Maybe you can try something like that?

Annie
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 11:39 AM

I can't see the image very well, it's too small, but it should definitely not be loose. Is it loose side to side or up and down, or both? And does it easily move front to back? It should be pretty tight overall and you have to push with some decent pressure to move it front to back and when you push it inwards, it should spring right back.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

hi Annie, there is no noise the headlight glass is loose

Dan, it is easy to push in at the top when fully installed. the pic shows the tab that slides into the chrome outer ring.

you have 3 mouting points to the outer chrome ring that i can see. the tab at the upper right and the 2 adjustment screws at the bottom. i tried to enlarge the pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HEADLIGHT2.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	44401  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Coleman View Post
hi Annie, there is no noise the headlight glass is loose

Dan, it is easy to push in at the top when fully installed. the pic shows the tab that slides into the chrome outer ring.

you have 3 mouting points to the outer chrome ring that i can see. the tab at the upper right and the 2 adjustment screws at the bottom. i tried to enlarge the pic
Oh sorry, I thought the image was showing what you were missing or was broken or something. And yes I've taken my light completely apart to change the visor as my old one was damaged by a fist sized rock that fell off a truck and bounced off the visor.

The top should not move freely, it should be fairly tight and you have to give it a good push to move around. if it's loose, it sounds like your clips are bent and not pushing hard enough to keep the tension from your adjustment screws. I would check your clips and see if you can bent them to correct the issue, or you can use some foam weather stripping to stop the bouncing around. Good luck!

Dan
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 03:41 PM

Also, is the top screw (6 and 7 in the diagram) in place and tight? if that's missing or loose, that could also allow free play on the glass. But again, there's no way the metal clip should be loose and moving around on you, it sounds like it's broken or was bent or incorrectly installed. It should be very tight, I think I needed a pair of needlenose pliers to get it back in when I re-assembled the light.

Dan
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

hey dan.. 6& 7 are in place and tight. is there suppse to be a clip in the chrome housing ( like a body molding clip that snaps in and then the headlight ring slides into that).. or is it just the opening and then the tab on the headlight ring is a tight fit to that?

that's what mine looks liek and in the chrome surround there is just a hole that it slides into,.

ill take actual pictures next nice day
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	headlight ring.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	44425  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Coleman View Post
hey dan.. 6& 7 are in place and tight. is there suppse to be a clip in the chrome housing ( like a body molding clip that snaps in and then the headlight ring slides into that).. or is it just the opening and then the tab on the headlight ring is a tight fit to that?

that's what mine looks liek and in the chrome surround there is just a hole that it slides into,.

ill take actual pictures next nice day
Yep, that's your issue, there is supposed to be a clip in there... there's two clips on the entire thing, the clip inside that holds the tension between the glass body and main ring, and the clip that holds the H4 bulb in place. I can snap a pic of mine if you like, you can see the clip inside the ring when you remove the light from the bucket.

Dan
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 05:01 PM

Here check this out...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Yamaha-...e6344a&vxp=mtr

4th photo, you can see the retaining clip top left.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 05:07 PM

OK here we go, this is MUCH better, you can see the retaining clip clearly bottom right side:

So if that clip is missing, that's why you can easily push the top in and out of the housing like that...

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode