welll another question.. HID going on and off in headlight - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Arrow welll another question.. HID going on and off in headlight

so i put a HID in my 01 v star 1100. but it seems to go on and off on its own.. i thought it could have been from bumps but don't seem to be that.. is the rectifier strong enough to push it ? its a 55 w kit low beam only.
has anyone had a problem like this? anyhelp is greatly apprecated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

my first thought is something is loose

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Nothing loose had it apart 3 times checking the conections
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 06:33 AM

Garage
If there's nothing loose I would check to see if your ballast is bad. How long does it take to cut off?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Deffenlty not a ballast issue. I been installing hid kits for the last 10 years but never in a bike. I already changed the bulb n balast. Still the same thing going on. Going out all depends there's no set time. It's like it font get the power n goes out then comes back on
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 11:30 AM

Does your positive wire still have full voltage when the HID shuts off? Yes, 55w shouldn't be an issue. Try bypassing the ground and run a new wire from the ground on the H4 to the frame, does it still shut off? Could be a loose/dirty ground if that fixes it.

Dan

Last edited by DanR; 05-22-2015 at 12:25 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

next nice day i will be doing that dan. i just got to get it to do it when i can get to look at it not when im driving lol thats the problem. i replaced the ballast today but was in a rush so didnt get a chance to try it out
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

well i don't know how this one ended, but now i'm in the same boat.
my HID headlight started going off intermittently several weeks ago, mostly when i would be still at a traffic light. so i didn't think it could have been anything loose. then it seemed fine for a few weeks before it started doing it again and then i lost my light completely. i just figured the bulb was spent since it was about 2 years old and my last one went out at about the 2 year mark. so i'm a little perturbed that these bulbs are only lasting 2 years, but still a helluva lot better than halogen.

so i replace the light and it doesn't work. i check connections/fuses and reconnect everything and then it works. i scratch my head, but whatever. it works for less than 2 days and now my new light is out. it actually went out while i was in a drive-through. i shut my bike off because of long wait time, turned it back on, and then the light was gone. good thing i wasn't too far from home. but nothing i could do could get my light back, so i figured it must be the ballast. it's about 4 years old and they don't last forever either, especially the higher 55w ones which i have. so i order a new ballast and it comes in yesterday. i hook it up to the new light i installed last week and still no light.
GRRR!!!!

when i checked the fuses before, the 25amp fuse in my HID relay kit looked horrible, like it had slowly been melting over the years. but the fuse still looked intact so i left it alone before. well now i replaced it. still nothing. so now i'm guessing i blew my new light before somehow. so i have another new light i hook up. still nothing. so now i'm really confused and ticked, and i retrieve my old ballast out of the trash because i have a hunch. i hook up the old ballast with the new NEW light, and now it's working. HOORAY!! so i figure the new ballast must be no good, and the old fuse must have gone bad. but i still can't explain why my previous light would stop working for a few moments and then come back on. bad connection on the old fuse? i don't know. for all i know, this still isn't over and my new NEW light will stop working as well. i'll be back here if that happens....

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode