Charging or Electrical Issues (Scratching my head) - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Charging or Electrical Issues (Scratching my head)

Sorry this turned out so long. Grab a good cup of coffee, tea or a beer before starting this novel.

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic. 28,000 miles

My issue is with the electrical system. Like many others on here, I was out for a ride and the cluster panels went crazy and soon after, the bike died on me with a dead battery. I ran all the ohm tests starting with the battery and when I got to the stator I found my wires and housing were melted. To me it seemed like the housing and wires have been that way for a while because of the dirt, oil and debris that were caked into what was left of the housing itself. So I replaced both the stator and rectifier.Soldered the wires together for best connection. Started the bike and hooked the tester up. While at idol it was reading 13.2 - 13.5 and when I revved it up it hit between 14.2 - 14.9 with one high spike of grater than 15 volts. I took it out for a 10 mile run and when I put it back on the tester it was no longer charging. Took my battery into two places to have it tested and both places told me that the battery is fine under the load test. Out of curiosity I put the old rectifier back on and it was charging again. I was getting 12.3 - 13+ on idol and no more than 14.2 at high revving. I ran it for a good 30 minutes today while checking the volts, and not once did the wires from the stator get hot, nor did it pass 14.2 volts on the test at high rev. I took it out for a 20 mile ride and when I got home - it was no longer charging again.

Also, before I replaced the stator and R/R the first time, I had a spell where the 10 amp fuse for the lights blew as soon as I turned the key to the on position, and in a matter of about 20 minutes I went through 5 fuses. I thought I tracked the issue down to my passing lights switch on the front of the bike. When I touched the switch the passing lights would go out, but no fuses blew when messing with it. I put a new switch to the lights and the fuses stopped blowing. It was at that time I took the bike out and 30 miles later all my problems with the bike started as far as the charging system.

For the life of me I cannot find anything on why the rectifier keeps blowing out other than high spikes in power being delivered to the R/R. I am trying to find out what would send or allow that to happen as the Stator is still good according to the ohm testing on each wire and then to the frame. I thought I read somewhere that a particular DIODE (if bad) would allow for this to happen, but I am not sure. Is there another problem that it could be and I am not thinking?

I would appreciate any help or directions you could possibly point me to. Again, I am sorry this turned out so long, I wanted to cover everything that I have done thus far, but I am sure I missed something..

UPDATE:

Today I fired the bike up and checked the charging on it just to see and it was charging again. Before i cranked it over it only had 12.1 volts, I have no parasitic draws from what I can measure with the multimeter. So now I am really at a loss here as to what it could be. It seems when the bike is at operating temps the R/R does not charge.

Any ideas where to go from here? Is there a DIODE I need to be looking at? Will a CDI unit cause this? I am itching to ride, but am afraid to take it more than 20 miles from the house because it may let me down again.

I hope this is the correct place to post this, if not please let me know and I will move it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 05:20 PM

Garage
Honestly, I'm a pretty good mechanic, but you're way over my pay grade here. If it were me, if be handing it off to the best pro I could find at this point... hopefully others can offer more constructive advice.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Casey for taking a look.

I have two service manuals and a new multimeter and am about to start testing all the wires, connections, CDI and diode on that bike as well as recheck the stator and R/R. I hope to find something in all the testing that is about to happen. First I think I need some beer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 06:23 PM

Garage
Start with beer is always a good idea. If you can't figure it out, then finish with beer too. And if you do figure it out... celebrate with beer.
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 06:32 PM

My suggestion - and I have been wrong before - is to start with the ground wires. Battery negative, negative cable to wherever it grounds on the engine or frame, grounding of the regulator/rectifier, and so on. Don't just eyeball the connections. At least loosen and retighten them, if you don't completely disconnect, clean, and reconnect them.Corrosion, old paint under what is supposed to be a metal-to-metal connection, whatever. The engine probably grounds to the frame via its mounting hardware, which can also develop problems.

Lotsa luck.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 09:56 AM

If you bought an aftermarket reg/rec...do yourself a favor and go buy an OEM Yamaha one. I don't know of one single person that has had any luck keeping an aftermarket one alive for very long no matter what the brand. Best bet is to get one for an 05 Road Star..... it is heavier duty...but buy it direct from Yamaha...no aftermarket junk! The same is true with stators.....but it is such a rarity that one ever goes out that I'd rule out the stator just on those grounds...unless it is aftermarket...then it's a crap shoot.

Also, take your battery in and have it load tested. If you've had reg/rec issues....it may have damaged it.

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...harging-system

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 05-23-2015 at 10:02 AM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 02:03 PM

every two days i'm reading of reg failures, what is causing these failures ,aftermarket accessories?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

@ Slick Mick

I have the OEM R/R back in the bike and it charges until the engine warms up and then quits charging. I did have the battery checked at two different places, Autozone and at O'riley's and both told me that under the load test the battery was fine, just needed recharged. Are these tests 100% accurate? Could the battery hold a charge and show good and not charge when it gets warmed up?

The Original Stator was shot per the manual testing specs. I did received the correct numbers when testing the three wires coming from it, but it also showed continuity from each wire to the frame and there was a parasitic draw from the battery. With the wires and housing being melted I figured there was a short in the stator and over charging the system. With the new one installed (DIY'er) I have no patristic draw and after re-testing last night all numbers are still within spec from wires 1 - 2, 1 - 3, 2 - 3 and then all three wires to ground with no continuity detected.

I am going through today and checking all the ground connections disconnect and clean the contact areas, just to rule out the ground connection possibility.

I looked at the R/R from Yamaha Parts House .com. Would the R/R for 2005 Yamaha ROAD STAR MIDNIGHT (XV17AMT) work? I am not sure what one I should be looking at or if it even matters. but for $108 not being to bad I will upgrade in a couple weeks. I just don't want to get it on and find that the bike still does the same thing, Quits charging after it warms up.

Last edited by NoMadValues; 05-23-2015 at 06:32 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Nick 57.

I have No aftermarket accessories on my bike other than a tachometer on the handle bars. There was at one point the show/strobe lights under the frame, tank and fenders that I have taken off thinking it was part of the charging issue and disconnected the passing/day lights as well. I will hook the lights back up once things are back to normal. However I think I should add a resistor or a diode to that circuit just to be on the safe side.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
My suggestion - and I have been wrong before - is to start with the ground wires. Battery negative, negative cable to wherever it grounds on the engine or frame, grounding of the regulator/rectifier, and so on. Don't just eyeball the connections. At least loosen and retighten them, if you don't completely disconnect, clean, and reconnect them.Corrosion, old paint under what is supposed to be a metal-to-metal connection, whatever. The engine probably grounds to the frame via its mounting hardware, which can also develop problems.

Lotsa luck.
I am doing that today. Just so I know for sure things are seated properly and I have the proper connections for the grounds.

Also, I want to thank everyone who has give great ideas and suggestions so far and in the future. Like I said I am at a loss here and will take any and all suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode