From '09 950 to '01 1100 to '14 1300 Deluxe - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

From '09 950 to '01 1100 to '14 1300 Deluxe

Hey gals and gents, just purchased a new '14 1300 w/ 0 miles. I have to say it beat my expectations, especially the audio system. I wanted to give a few quick opinions on these bikes and discuss some upgrade options for the Deluxe. Here goes:

'09 950 - Fuel injection is nice. Get up and go. However this bike has no balls unfortunately. I got rid of it quick. Also single disc up front but braking was good. Handling was very good. Easy to scrape the floor boards on the corners.

'01 1100 Custom - What a machine. Throw some pipes and some billet accessories and you have a classic looking cruiser. Loved the spoke wheels. Loved the shaft drive. Absolutely hated the carbs, the cold starts, the manual choke to the point of almost pulling my hairs out.

'14 1300 Deluxe - Just go see one. I went to the dealer to get a used Harley with my mind made and money to pay for the overpriced hog and came across the Deluxe. The sleek lines of the hard bags contoured to the fender, the front fairing and audio system is what caught my eye. It was love at first site. I have 400mi on it now, waiting for a sissy bar and some pipes I have on order but I have to say Im blown away by the audio system and performance of the bike except for the brakes, I feel the 950 braked better even with a single disc up front (The 1100 and 1300 have dual fronts) but then again this is a much heavier bike. Maybe better pads should improve it.

I will be posting more about this bike, including an upgrade to the speakers. In the mean time, people looking to get this bike please feel free to ask any questions I'd be glad to help.

2014 XVS1300 Deluxe

Mods:
-Carlini 18" Gangster Apes, custom build
-Venhill Custom brake (Race setup), throttle, clutch lines
-Samson Shogun Warlord 2-2 full exhaust
-Cobra Fatty 1-1/2 inch Freeway bars
-Kuryakyn Velociraptor intake kit
-Dynojet Power Commander V w/Autotune (Tuned by Mickey Cohen)
-Kuryakyn Run-Turn-Brake kit
-Custom Dynamics rear turn signal red LED clusters

STAR Accessories:
-Full, fixed sissy bar
-Billet frame inserts
-Tri-bar passing lamps w/Star visors

Last edited by CapoArgentino; 05-27-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 12:03 PM

She's beautiful! Enjoy

Annie
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 02:00 PM
eGo

Gorgeous bike.. Would love to get my hands on a fairing I could mount a NAV in.. Gonna have to keep my eyes open..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 03:11 PM

I'm partial and think you will enjoy the 1300 Deluxe. There's lots of room for add ons and customizing on the 1300 plus it has a few creature comforts that make it a joy to ride. The more I ride mine, the more I like the balance between a lighter cruiser and a heavy touring motorcycle. It has plenty of power for its weight. I have a not too secret love of the Indian Chieftain but that's waning the more I ride the 1300. Plus the add ons for it are waaaay cheaper than the Indians.

My only critisisms are it needs a 6th gear, a better seat and rear tires that last longer. Some have swapped the front pulley to lower the rpms at super slab speeds with success to address the gearing and aftermarket seats are easily had if you've got the cash. The OEM rear tire on mine lasted 4200 miles. I ride like the old guy I am so that was disappointing.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS

Last edited by Slayer; 05-28-2015 at 03:15 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 08:44 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Beautiful bike indeed. It actually is called an XVS1300A CFD over here, and those bags are really very nice looking on this bike for sure, and I happened to come across one at the local dealer today.

I don't know how it is these days, but I improved the steering of my 2012 model of the "naked" version by changing the springs with progressive springs in the fork legs. It makes quite a difference. Cornering was very good and easy to start with, and funnily enough I did this in order to have better road behaviour on bad roads just across the border (I live only a few miles from the next country down here ), as the springs bottomed out very easily on one specific road I like to take for a "stroll". It did not only fix that, but the handling became significantly better as well. Highly recommended, and not a very expensive thing to do or have done.

For the brakes you could indeed first try better brake pads. If that doesn't improve braking a lot, or enough, I'd suggest a more expensive option, namely a Power Commander tuned for good engine braking when releasing the gas. That in combination with braking should do the trick. You'll need a Power Commander V to implement that properly, however.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 09:24 AM

Mine is not the deluxe, but I have 20,000 miles on it now and can't think of a better bike to own.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the comments. I will try with some EBC pads soon to improve the braking although I think I either got used to it now or the pads are fully broken in because the bike stops better now.

I have 2000mi on it and just installed some Cobra Dragsters on the bike and this 1300 single pin sounds mean as hell, better than I was anticipating. Next up is a Baron Big Air intake kit (As I had on my 1100). Will post more pics soon.

Slayer that is disappointing, the rear tire life but I think the Michelin commanders have much better life span than the stock ones.

2014 XVS1300 Deluxe

Mods:

STAR Accessories:
-Full, fixed sissy bar
-Billet frame inserts
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 01:47 PM

Garage
Nice thread CA, thanks for sharing it. I currently own a 950 and love the brakes on it compared to my previously owned 650. The 1300 is indeed a great looking bike as your pic shows. Keep us updated as you progress with your mods.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Keith, will do. Yeah the 950 brakes surprisingly good for a single disc up front.

I wanted to mention also that oil changes on this bike cant possibly be easier. The 1100 was a nightmare, needing to remove the exhaust to change the filter.

2014 XVS1300 Deluxe

Mods:

STAR Accessories:
-Full, fixed sissy bar
-Billet frame inserts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode