Bought a 950T, what recommendations / suggestions - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Bought a 950T, what recommendations / suggestions

Ok, i bought myself a '14 950 Touring and haven't had a bike in a long time. I'm looking for a list of items that i should have/get for support. I have the basic safety gear (Helmet and gloves) and am looking for a reasonable jacket. Being a bit short for my weight i'm going to have to try them on so a web purchase isn't an easy path. I have the manual so i'm really seeking Rider suggestions

I'm really looking for advice on tools or other items i should have. I remember needing the battery tender, so any suggestions would be great.

Also what routine checks should i do whether daily, weekly, or monthly.

Are there any out of the box adjustments or modifications that i should make.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 07:38 AM

The 950 is a great bike.
With that being said, I don't think there is a rider on here who wouldn't agree it has perhaps the worst factory seat on any motorcycle made.
You will find you want to change it out in no time at all.
You will get as many opinions on seats as people you ask.
Mustang makes a nice seat as does Ultimate. These seats can be a bit pricey but I have seen many guys have the stock seat reworked so the answer really is whatever works with your budget and your butt lol.
Congrats on the new bike, enjoy it and ride safe!

2012 V-Star 950T
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 07:42 AM

Web purchases for a jacket may be a lot easier than you may believe. Try LeatherUp.com. They have a liberal return policy and if you read the comments from other purchasers, you'll get a really good idea on sizing and how it may fit. I've purchased 2 jackets and a pair of boots from them and have no complaints. Their textile jackets are of good quality and they cost 1/3 of what the Joe Rocket brand with cost you. These jackets get really messed up after awhile and although still functional, they end up funky.

Tools will depend on what you want to do. If only for emergencies, the kit that comes with the bike will be enough. Even for oil changes or brake disc replacement. If you're going to be tinkering and adding a lot of after market things, then get yourself a good set of metric tools. Look at the oem kit and get at least better versions of what is there like Craftsman box/open end style wrenches. Sometimes the open end wrench in the kit just won't cut it. The battery tender is a great idea if you live in a colder climate and the bike will sit for longer periods of time.

Read your manual about the routine stuff. I check my oil at least once a day, more if I'm riding long distances. Check your tire pressure at least 2 or 3 times a week. Do a visual circle of safety every time you get on the bike, lights, turn signals, brake lights and tires. I never get on my bike without making sure these things are in order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 08:09 AM

Garage
I have the same "height" problem, and I'd also suggest that buying online is less dicey than you'd think (though be sure you buy somewhere with a good return policy). And definitely the suggestion to read the comments is good. You'll often find folks noting size variances, e.g. "buy this a size bigger than you usually wear, it runs small" etc.

If you really must to go to a store, there's a CycleGear in Laurel, MD. Their selection is okay, but of course not nearly what you can find online. DO NOT buy anything there until it's on sale, unless you simply enjoy overpaying. The sale prices tend to be about the same as you'd pay online, the non-sale prices are full-bore retail. If you go to their site and sign up for their emails, you'll get sale notifications, etc.

Your local Yamaha dealer may have some gear for sale too. Mine is a Yamaha/Triumph/Polaris dealer and has plenty of generic gear, as will many dealers (Harley dealers typically have only Harley-logo gear). Expect to pay premium prices, of course.

Of course, if there's a local/non-chain shop near you, make sure you give them a shot too.

Obviously, you can 'showroom' at any of the above - find the brand/size you like by trying on, then go try to buy it for less online once you know. I don't do that myself, since I think it's unfair to the retailer and leads to disappearance of local shops... plus I have this little instant-gratification problem. But your qualms are your own.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 09:36 AM

Not all, but many brick-and-mortar stores will price-match items, if you can show them the Internet pricing. All of them are well aware of the Internet competition.

I can't but wonder why people buy bikes knowing they will have to "upgrade" the seat. Seems to me if enough people refused to buy bikes with uncomfortable seats, eventually the makers would get the word. After all, motorcycles are luxuries, not needs.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 10:54 AM

+1 on shopping online for jackets and brick and mortar stores for "shopping" to learn what you like. Face to face with a knowlegable sales person can be helpful and look for sales for sure. Leatherup and cyclegear both have been good for me

Amazon turned out to be good for some gear. I got two pairs of Kevlar lined jeans for $69.

As far as mods to the bike, I have a 1300 Deluxe so I don't know much about performance mods for your bike.

A couple of things you might consider are highway/freeway bars and highway pegs. They will give you ways to move your feet and change position for your back/butt. I added a propad gel pad for my seat. It helps a lot with the stock seat.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 11:02 AM

Garage
Charon -

As a guy who's spent his life as a marketer, selling stuff to people, I agree about the seat thing. And yet, I also understand the dynamic. Like it or not, the company that chops $500 of the price of the bike by putting a crappy seat on it will always do better, generally, than the company that 'does everything just so' and it costs more. Don't like it, but that's the reality.

Slayer -

Now that you mention it, I agree to always 'ask for the deal' at a retailer. Show 'em the online price and ask to match it, etc. Hell, I'd even be willing to pay 10% more, e.g., to buy at a local store, with someone to help, able to try things on, etc.

Also, at cyclegear in particular and knowing how retail works. If your heart is set on a jacket that's not on sale this week, you might ask if they'll give it to you at the sale price. Many stores have a 30-day price-match guarantee or similar and if they know it's going on sale, they'll just give you the price. Also, many retailers have a standing option for the manager to give __% off discretionarily. In jewelry retail, the world I know best, nearly all stores will do that, giving you the 'sale' price, if you ask.

I probably buy half my bike stuff on Amazon (and am a Prime member). That's equal parts a) I know I can return it if there's a problem, b) selection available I simply can't get locally and c) free 2-day shipping...

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, i was planning on heading down to the Laurel Cycle Gear this weekend just to see what the jackets were like. The dealership i purchased the bike at had MX all armor or the textile (no armor/pad) fluorescent jackets. I used to wear a denim jacket but am looking for something a little more protective now.

The seat is that bad huh? It is so much nicer that what i had before i didn't think twice. As i ride more i'm sure i'll see what you all are saying. The highway pegs or bars do make sense.

I don't think i'm going to do a lot of customizing but we'll see. I wish they still had center stands, they made me feel more like the bike wasn't going to tip over any second.

I'm glad nobody came back saying i need some engine mod or something to fix a problem. I was reading one thread about somebody that was reprogramming the ECU and then i had read somewhere another item for the exhaust if that isn't the same issue. (Can you tell i'm not an engine guy).
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 01:28 PM

Garage
Hi mrr, welcome to the forum and the 950t. I own a 09' and love it. The other members are correct about the factory seat. I have a Mustang seat on mine. The 950's are great candidates for engine upgrades if you prefer. Follow the owners manual on recommended services and you'll be just fine.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 02:09 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on the new bike. I owned a 950 for about a year and a half and never had a problem with the seat but, I'm 5'6" and weigh about 167 lbs. I only put about 13,500 miles on the bike so I'm also a casual rider. Try it and see. Not every butt is the same.

As far as tools, a ratchet and a set of metric sockets and set of Allen (hex) wrenches come in very handy along with a belt tension tool. If you're gonna wrench on it then, a torque wrench will come in handy too. If you're not a wrench, just a rider, the 950 is pretty good right out of the box. You could ride it for years without ever changing anything. Oddly enough, someone put some thought into the 950 and the 1300 before they put them on the market. Be safe and have fun. Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode