v star 1300 is way slower than my 1988 venture royal, why? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

v star 1300 is way slower than my 1988 venture royal, why?

Why does the v star 1300 need to down shifted so often while my venture just motors up the hills with no problem. My brain keeps telljng me a v twin with the same diplacement as my v4 should have more power but it does not.

Any recomencations for how or what to check first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 12:44 AM

Why would you think it would have more HP? A quick google search shows the Venture at about 97 HP and the V Star at about 69. Though it's about 100 lbs less, the V Star 1300 just doesn't put out a lot of HP.....30 less than the Venture.

You're comparing apples to oranges.....

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 08:26 AM

The V Star as OEM is also severely choked and has the AFR of a blow torch.

Jack's O2 Mod cures the AFR problem responsible for much of the "lugging", bucking, and hesitation under 20% throttle.

Drilling the intake cures most of the choked problem.

Total cost can be as little as pennies for a DIY job (as cheap as it can be the resister can be attached inline with the white wire on the O2 sensor). Both mods and details can be found at http://vstar1300.pbworks.com/w/page/5760692/FrontPage .

If you're willing and able to spend money on the problem, The Cobra CVT, slip-on, and performance intake of your choice will set you back around a grand.

It's not unusual to experience just over 15 HP increase from the second choice but the first choice will get you more than half way there. The choked intake is by far the worst offender. The intake hole is between the cylinders on the back side of the jock strap and barely big enough to fit a finger into. Skeptical? Remove the jock strap cover, tape the filter down and go for a ride.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar

Last edited by sparkn; 05-30-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 10:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkn View Post
The V Star as OEM is also severely choked and has the AFR of a blow torch.

Jack's O2 Mod cures the AFR problem responsible for much of the "lugging", bucking, and hesitation under 20% throttle.

Drilling the intake cures most of the choked problem.

Total cost can be as little as pennies for a DIY job (as cheap as it can be the resister can be attached inline with the white wire on the O2 sensor). Both mods and details can be found at http://vstar1300.pbworks.com/w/page/5760692/FrontPage .

If you're willing and able to spend money on the problem, The Cobra CVT, slip-on, and performance intake of your choice will set you back around a grand.

It's not unusual to experience just over 15 HP increase from the second choice but the first choice will get you more than half way there. The choked intake is by far the worst offender. The intake hole is between the cylinders on the back side of the jock strap and barely big enough to fit a finger into. Skeptical? Remove the jock strap cover, tape the filter down and go for a ride.
FWIW, My vs1100 has k&n pod filters & cobra pipes and still is no barn-burner. Definitely 'downshift to go uphill' is still the order of the day.

Yes, that's a carbed 1100 vs. your 1300. But I think the point is simply that the VS cruisers were and are known for not making a lot of HP out of their displacement.

OTOH, the vstar motors are known for doing a lotta miles without having to be opened up, and maybe "not pushing 'em that hard" to eke out every drop of HP is part of the reason?

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the input guys. I know the thing does not have the HP of the Venture but I thought it might have more torque. I suspect it does not and may never. I tried the removal of the air intake cover and did not notice a lot of difference but I will look into a new cover or drilling out this one. The O2 sensor mod sounds simple enough. I will look into that. As far as changing out the exhaust, I really would need to hear and ride one before I would consider that. I have grown to appreciate a quite bike as much as I like loud ones. I check out the link. Thanks so much. That is what I was looking for. Once again the forum are the best thing to happen to motorcycling in a long time.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 11:00 AM

Garage
Lots of vids on youtube to help you decide about pipes. Just search "vstar 1300 cobra pipes" and similar.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 12:45 PM

It's important to note that the hp gains from modifying the intake are in the upper rpm range when the stock box just chokes. Most modest riding doesn't get into the range that will benefit. To "feel" it is more like noticing the engine not flattening out prematurely.

OTOH, the O2 Mod does affect the lower range (0-20% throttle), but only after the bike warms up and starts using O2 sensor input. Things like hesitation, stalling on takeoff, certain pops, inappropriate chugging and what not related to running a bright blue flame are mostly mitigated.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 01:33 PM

I just moved from a 950 to a 1300 and it is a different animal altogether. Learning the bike is a big part of getting in the right gear at the right time. I'm still learning how long I can dwell in a gear before shifting. I do know that the top end speed is much higher on the 1300. I've gone faster in fourth gear than I ever did in fifth on the 950.

As far as torque goes, here are my thoughts. When I bought my Kubota tractor I could have gotten a three cylinder diesel or a four cylinder diesel in the same power category but, the four cylinder had more torque then the three cylinder. I would guess the same applies to motorcycles. Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
Yes, that's a carbed 1100 vs. your 1300. But I think the point is simply that the VS cruisers were and are known for not making a lot of HP out of their displacement.
FWIW.....No V twin is going to have High HP in relation to the displacement. Look at the Street Glide for instance....103 CI and only 76 HP. My "little" 600CC Ninja has almost double that. It's just the nature of the design. There is plenty of low end torque, but not much left over on the top end.

If you want to go fast up hills, a V Twin is not the answer.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 09:04 AM

RPM vs. RPM Suzuki's SV650 (a non-racing standard w/a V-Twin) has as much output as a Ninja ZX-6R. The Ninja shines because it keeps going after 9000 rpms all the way to 13,500. The limitation is not that the Suzuki is a V Twin.

The limitation as it relates to the OPs comment is that it's 4 cylinders vs 2 in the same displacement range. It is much easier to engineer for the higher rpm range if you start with rods and bearings that carry lower inertial forces. The 1300 really isn't a slouch. But, it does need to be opened up to realize what a great engine it really has. The leanness causes low rpms to complain and the small suck hole makes it asthmatic in the upper range. Let the thing fart and it's a nice, well rounded engine for its intended purpose, which does not include racing.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode