V-Star 950 Floorboards and shifting - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

V-Star 950 Floorboards and shifting

So, my wife and I took a new (leftover) 2014 V-Star 950 out for test ride and ended up buying it today. Will have it home in the next week or so.

This will be the first bike I have ever owned with floorboards and only second one I have ever ridden with floorboards (other was HD Fat Boy). And first one ever with heel/toe shifter. Anyway, one of the things I noticed is the lack of space between floorboards and front shift lever. Was wearing tennis shoes for test ride, but normally wear a boot of some kind and looking at getting a pair of Joe Rocket Big Bang boots and don't think the toe of that will fit between floorboard and front shift lever to upshift with toe.

So, how do you guys, with larger feet and OEM floorboards shift normally? Can you fit a booted toe up under there? Or do you upshift by stepping down with your heel on the back of the heel/toe shifter?

All thoughts appreciated. Yes, I know I am a newbie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

you can adjust the hight of the heel/toe parts relative to the floorboard by adjusting the length of the shift linkage. you see that thin, round metal rod that the shifter is connected to? adjust the nuts at both ends and you can screw the rod in and out which changes its length which changes the angle/height of the heel/toe knobs.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that info! I will look at that closer as soon as we get the bike home!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 11:24 AM

Boo hiss on your dealer not making sure that was adjusted for you when you pick it up.

Annie
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielikeslyrics View Post
Boo hiss on your dealer not making sure that was adjusted for you when you pick it up.
Not a big deal as I haven't actually picked it up yet. They did a pre-ride prep for us since this was brand new on the showroom floor and only one they had for us to ride. Just noticed that on the first ride last night. We did purchase last night, but won't be picking up until next week. They are now doing the pre-purchase prep, get the shifter adjusted (although, they said if you adjust to raise the front is lowers the back - don't have bike home right now to look at it), get Battery Tender pre-wire installed, and waiting on the Cobra backrest to arrive and get installed. Then we will finally bring her home!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 02:18 PM

It is usual with a heel-and-toe shifter to upshift by using your heel on the rear pedal, and downshift using the ball of your foot (or your toe) on the front pedal. One virtue - you don't scuff up the toe of your shoe. If you adjust the front of the lever high enough to get your toe under it, there may not be enough room under the heel to allow the shift before the heel hits the floorboard.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 05:26 PM

I have mine adjusted lower in the front and just use my heal to upshift. For me, if the toe shifter is high enough to get a boot under it I can't lift my toe over it to shift down. I end up having to pick up my entire foot and down shift by moving my leg down not just my toe. Not real comfortable or convenient. I wouldn't stress too much. It's an easy adjustment so ride it a while and change it around till you find what's most comfy for you.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
there may not be enough room under the heel to allow the shift before the heel hits the floorboard.
not so on the 950

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode