Crankcase leaking oil. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Crankcase leaking oil.

So, I was riding my bike a bit last night and when I got back, I discovered that the crankcase is leaking oil. Suddenly. I can see the oil spurting out of the top of the crankcase on the left side (clutch side). It is coming out right behind the plug/screw thing that looks like it takes a giant flat head screw driver. I can include a picture if necessary.

I assume I need to replace the case gasket and hopefully that will fix the problem, but should this gasket leak to begin with? Might there be a bigger problem I should be concerned about?

--

2009 V Star 650 Custom

2009 V Star 650 Custom Midnight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

So, I tightened the bolts on this (I figured maybe loosening bolts was more likely than a bad gasket on a 2009?), but that didn't fix the problem. I did notice something strange, in that when I pushed the choke in, it seemed to leak more. When I first start the bike with the choke all the way out, it really doesn't leak that much. Any ideas on why choke seems to affect the rate the bike leaks? Does choke change pressure somehow?

I think that's a side point and probably not related to the issue, but I found it to be interesting all the same.

Thanks.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 08:09 PM
eGo

I will have to do some more research, but it sounds like perhaps you have a bad needle valve causing the carbs to keep pouring gas into the bowls then it overflows into the mouths of the carbs, then the cylinders and down into the oil. Maybe turning on the choke does something that allows the vacuum to break causing even more fuel to flow.. One way to verify this without pulling the carbs is to turn your fuel OFF and see if the oil still leaks..

GL!

eGo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 08:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golanv View Post
So, I tightened the bolts on this (I figured maybe loosening bolts was more likely than a bad gasket on a 2009?), but that didn't fix the problem. I did notice something strange, in that when I pushed the choke in, it seemed to leak more. When I first start the bike with the choke all the way out, it really doesn't leak that much. Any ideas on why choke seems to affect the rate the bike leaks? Does choke change pressure somehow?

I think that's a side point and probably not related to the issue, but I found it to be interesting all the same.

Thanks.
Golany - Just wanted to say I'm not responding substantively 'cuz you're well beyond my level of expertise. Your situation sounds really odd... My gut feeling is that something's going on beyond just a bad gasket. But what that is??? Hopefully others here with more experience than I can chime in.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

I tried your test eGo. I think I may have been incorrect on that choke thing. It doesn't really seem to leak less with full choke like I thought. The bike vibrates more with the choke shut off, and I wonder if it isn't the vibration that causes the oil to sputter out just a little quicker. I may test it again when I'm awake.

I also have a fear that something inside the crankcase is causing a problem, but it does seem like that gasket has to be bad in any case, otherwise I don't think it would leak (but I'm not certain of that).

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 09:46 AM
eGo

Yah, can you post pictures by any chance? Most likely it is the o-ring. Part # 93210-32172-00.. If it's the spot/plug I think you're talking about..
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 03:46 PM

What is the oil level in the crankcase? I don't know if you have a dipstick or sight glass.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

I'm falling behind on the questions here. It seems to be the same problem as is described here:

http://rinasvstar.blogspot.com/2013/...tand-side.html

Maybe the gasket just went bad? It is leaking at the crankcase cover gasket (not the "crankcase gasket"). I should have taken a picture... I've already started to tear things apart. That kickstand is a bear to get off. I needed to stick an open ended wrench on the nut behind the bolt, and used a large torque wrench to move the front bolt. Once the wrench on the nut got braced against the frame, those bolts moved.

Regarding the oil level...I've already drained the oil. I had a hard time seeing the level through the site glass (a dip stick would be nice, but the 650 custom doesn't come with one). It looked fairly full. It actually looked too full, but it was hard to tell with the poor lighting in my garage.

So, I'll update again once I get the time to work on this some more. I'm hoping to finish the job tonight.

On a side note, with my 650 temporarily out of commission, I keep finding myself compulsively looking at Sportsters and find myself wanting a second bike...

Thanks for the input so far!

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 11:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golanv View Post
On a side note, with my 650 temporarily out of commission, I keep finding myself compulsively looking at Sportsters and find myself wanting a second bike...
I definitely understand the 'urge' with your bike out of commission.

My ADVICE is go ride a sportster, and my GUESS is you'll stop wanting one after that... They are good looking bikes and as close as HD comes to 'value pricing'. So YMMV, especially depending on your size/height - to wit:

I looked at Sportsters before I bought my 1100 - a used sportster being the only HD in my budget range. I found them rough and unpleasant to ride. I also found it just a bit small for me - e.g. my knees were bent well >45 degrees on the pegs, and were even still pretty bent with feet flat on the ground. I rather felt like my arms were pulled in too tight while holding the bars too. It seemed like a bike that you'd want to at most 5'9" to be comfortable. I'm not going to say it's a "girl's bike" - but I do guess making it more approachable for the ladies was on their minds while designing it.

(FWIW, the new HD "Street 500" is DEFINITELY for the shorter person. Happened to ride one on Sunday and felt like I was on one of those Junior-size dirtbikes they sell for kids)

Mostly with the Sportster, I just didn't like sitting at stop signs/lights and feeling like I was in one of those vibrating massage chairs.

Do watch the mileage if you buy one used - I recall hearing pretty consistently that its engine has a reputation for NOT going high miles all that well.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

caseyjones,

Thanks for the input! I have taken a few different Sportsters for test rides (they all seem to have horrible stock shocks), and the weird thing was that some felt obnoxiously rough, while others I loved. I'm not sure if it was a difference in year or in trim or something else. The 72, while having too much chrome for my taste and with ape hangers that big, it made me feel like I was about to fall over unexpectedly at any moment, was actually pretty fun to ride. The 48 I liked too, although I imagine the seating position wouldn't be comfortable for too long. I kind of like the peanut tanks and the narrowness of the bike between your legs and the forward controls on both models. I'm a hair under 5'11", and found them more or less on par with my 650, if not with a little more leg room. I was half considering finding a used 883 Iron and putting forward controls on it. It wouldn't be a huge of a bump from my 650 (from the specs, the torque and hp on the 883 looks to be right in the middle of the V Star 650 and the Sportster 1200), but I am in town 90% of the time anyway...

I still think it was odd that some Sportsters felt wrong, while others just seemed to run better. Maybe it was my imagination, or maybe it was the mechanic who prepped it. I don't know and I'm probably not experienced enough to say.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode