I'm so ticked! Carb problem. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Jim Falls, Wisconsin
Posts: 46
I'm so ticked! Carb problem.

So this spring when I started my bike it only ran on one cylinder. I have a 2006 Vstar 1100, with slip-on pipes, carb is jetted. I took off the gas tank and airbox, I could see gas backing up in the front intake boot. I pulled the carbs off and took the float bowls off. I believe they make the float bowl screws out of the softest metal known to man. When I opened them up, they looked as clean as new. Soaked them, blew them out, put them back together. Ran the same. So I took it into the dealer. They rebuilt the carbs, and called me up to come pick it up. At idle it ran fine, but it sounded "different" if you know what I mean. I started down the road and it ran like complete crap. A lot of hesitation, and struggling through the mids and high rpms. I turned right around and brought it back. They called and said when they sprayed cleaner on the intake boots, the idle dropped so the boots must be bad. Ordered new intake boots and installed. 550 dollars later, they called and said it was ready. I get on it and drive it home, it is somewhat better, but nowhere near running good. Still hesitating and seems to be starving for fuel. Doesn't sound right. They said they put over 10 hours trying to get the carbs adjusted right. I can't believe they would let it go out the door running like this. I would rather keep it home and try to fix it myself now. The mechanic told me because of the slip-on pipes that it would be hard to get it dialed in perfect. Well, it ran perfect last summer. Any ideas? I'm going to start with intake boots to see if they are tight.
bearthehunter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 10:12 AM
Senior Member
 
caseyjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 609
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearthehunter View Post
So this spring when I started my bike it only ran on one cylinder. I have a 2006 Vstar 1100, with slip-on pipes, carb is jetted. I took off the gas tank and airbox, I could see gas backing up in the front intake boot. I pulled the carbs off and took the float bowls off. I believe they make the float bowl screws out of the softest metal known to man. When I opened them up, they looked as clean as new. Soaked them, blew them out, put them back together. Ran the same. So I took it into the dealer. They rebuilt the carbs, and called me up to come pick it up. At idle it ran fine, but it sounded "different" if you know what I mean. I started down the road and it ran like complete crap. A lot of hesitation, and struggling through the mids and high rpms. I turned right around and brought it back. They called and said when they sprayed cleaner on the intake boots, the idle dropped so the boots must be bad. Ordered new intake boots and installed. 550 dollars later, they called and said it was ready. I get on it and drive it home, it is somewhat better, but nowhere near running good. Still hesitating and seems to be starving for fuel. Doesn't sound right. They said they put over 10 hours trying to get the carbs adjusted right. I can't believe they would let it go out the door running like this. I would rather keep it home and try to fix it myself now. The mechanic told me because of the slip-on pipes that it would be hard to get it dialed in perfect. Well, it ran perfect last summer. Any ideas? I'm going to start with intake boots to see if they are tight.
Check/replace the vacuum caps. I learned that one the hard way... No way you'll be anything but lean if those are leaky.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
caseyjones is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Jim Falls, Wisconsin
Posts: 46
Where are those located?
bearthehunter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Senior Member
 
eruby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 148
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
Check/replace the vacuum caps. I learned that one the hard way... No way you'll be anything but lean if those are leaky.
Are they the caps covering the holes used to sync the carb?

'05 V Star 1100 Silverado $2000
Jardine Rumblers Slash Cut Slip-ons $50
Ext. Depot Billet ORK $120
LED Daymaker Headlight from Amazon $59
LED Driving Lights attached to Stock Turn Signal Stems $29
SuperbrightLEDs High Power Brake LED w/ Brake Flasher $18
SuperbrightLEDs "Switchback" Front LED Bulbs $28
Unibar Engine Guard $35
Rear Fender Mini Luggage Rack $25
Throttle Assist $32
Cruising with the Wind in your Face - Priceless
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
eruby is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 12:06 PM
Senior Member
 
caseyjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 609
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eruby View Post
Are they the caps covering the holes used to sync the carb?
Yes, they are. Hard to describe where they are in words. Best bet is go to youtube and search up a video on syncing your carbs and you'll see them in action.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
caseyjones is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 12:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Smithfield, VA
Posts: 1,090
I would have a sit down with the dealership owner and politely ask for some, if not all, of your money back. If they cannot get the carbs adjusted correctly it's because the person holding the carb doesn't know what to do with it and he is blaming your mufflers for his lack of knowledge. If I don't know what I'm doing I tell a customer and refund his money if I don't solve his problem. There is no shame in admitting you don't know. Can't say the same for someone that blames other parts and still takes someone's money

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
Summer is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Jim Falls, Wisconsin
Posts: 46
Thanks, I see where they are. I'll take a look tomorrow when its not 90 degrees outside and let you know what I find.
bearthehunter is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Senior Member
 
caseyjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 609
Garage
IF it turns out that the caps are a problem, I'd surely go give your dealer hell about that. In my book new caps should have been part of a carb rebuild, and definitely should have been something they checked.

On the one hand, I hope it IS that, 'cuz it's cheap and simple. OTOH, I wouldn't bet on it: the dealer really SHOULD have replaced them and/or checked that already.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
caseyjones is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 08:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Sick Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Corona De Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,181
Wow...if they took 10 hours and still couldn't figure out how to properly tune V Star 1100 carbs (simple Mikunis).....I'd definitely talk to the service manager. If it takes a tech that long to fix Mikuni carbs, he's in the wrong business.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sick Mick is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome