How long for ECU to adjust after new battery? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

How long for ECU to adjust after new battery?

So I had a new battery and plugs installed in my '09 1300 because both original. Local indie shop talked me out of another Yuasa battery, but that's another story.

Anyway, picked up bike and noticed popping upon acceleration and a little hesitation. Seemed to smooth out the more I rode so kept heading home. I've taken the bike on a few short rides since but it just doesn't feel right, hard to put my finger on it. I noticed tonight it hesitated between 1 & 2 as I pulled away from a stop sign. Bike has Cobra shorts, Cobra power flo and Cobra FI2000 manager. When I added the power flo, the Cobra rep advised not to bother the fuel manager, just go ride it like I stole it and it will adjust.

Anyone else had any subtle performance issues after battery replacement? I think I'll take it out for good long ride this weekend and try to work out the ECU reset. Hoping that's all it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

the ECU reset should be immediate. but maybe the fms isn't wired back or connected properly

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:05 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Actually, the FI2000 is reset by disconnecting the battery fro 1 to 2 minutes. Next it requires the engine etc. to be warm and some riding before it adjusts properly. This means you need to ride it for at least 15 minutes.

Generally what is recommended for the FI200 is in order to make an adjustment, to disconnect the battery for 1 to 2 minutes after the adjustment, reconnect, and then ride again. Repeat until happy.

Other than that, some occasional popping appears to remain, in my experience anyway. On my 1300 I have a FI2000R and a Tri-Pro 2-into-1, this one: http://www.cobrausa.com/yamaha/v_sta...2_into_1/2480/

I also had it tuned on a dyno, with the FI200R, and that makes the curve much smoother, so less drastic engine braking at higher revs when throttling down, and smoother response. Side effect is that it also got about 5 hp more at the wheel .

HTH, kind regards, Wim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all. Seems the ecu and fms should have both reset with the battery swap. I'll check the fms tonight, don't know why I have not done that already.

Shop said plugs looked great for age. I believe the shop owner's exact words were " you're not hurting it any". Ha, maybe I need to ride more aggressively.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 07:26 AM

Correct me if wrong, but I don't think either "reset" or at least that is my understanding. Both have non-volatile memory??

If it is the Cobra auto tuner it adjusts fuel settings on the fly while the throttle is engaged. It does not receive any power when ignition is off.

ECU I have read does not reset when disconnected from battery. Am I correct??

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 07:46 AM

When I had my 950, I hated to do anything on the bike where disconnecting the battery was needed. It always took me a good bit of riding for it to start running like it did before.

I was informed that if you only take it for a quick spin around the block, it will re-map to that type of riding until you do the varying types.

I made it a point to ride the bike 10 to 20 miles and get on an expressway for a couple of minutes. It would be back to normal in a day or 2.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrzeye View Post
i've seen several others state it does. ie -

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ight=ecu+reset

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 07:12 PM

I thought I would ask someone who knows ECU's. This from Ivan who does ECU flashes (including mine) for many of the Star models:

"Nothing can reset the ecu.... it's dumb as a brick. The only way to change anything is to flash it. (re-program)

Disconnecting the battery does nothing"

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrzeye View Post
Correct me if wrong, but I don't think either "reset" or at least that is my understanding. Both have non-volatile memory??

If it is the Cobra auto tuner it adjusts fuel settings on the fly while the throttle is engaged. It does not receive any power when ignition is off.

Did you ask Ivan how that flash for the 1300 was coming along? :-D

If so, then it could be an issue with the Cobra FI2000. I would check it tonight but I've been mowing and now three beers deep into a nice sixer of craft beer.

I appreciate all the input.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzmichaels View Post
Did you ask Ivan how that flash for the 1300 was coming along? :-D

If so, then it could be an issue with the Cobra FI2000. I would check it tonight but I've been mowing and now three beers deep into a nice sixer of craft beer.

I appreciate all the input.
Didn't ask but his web site says he is still looking for demo bikes .. free flash if you offer yours up

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/vstar13.htm

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode