Gotta brag on us all... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Gotta brag on us all...

Went to a bike "meetup" tonight at a local restaurant. About 150 bikes, probably 90% harleys. FWIW, Stars were probably the 2nd-most prevalent: there were 5 of 'em.

Got to talking to this Australian guy who has a 2012 HD fatboy. Never had anything but HD. Ended up walking over to show him mine. Was pleased to have him say 'nice looking bike' and such. A polite fellow.

He asked me what year/model/etc. and when I told him 2004 his jaw dropped. He just couldn't believe this was a 12 year old bike with 24K miles. He asked if I wasn't worried about the "high" mileage, and I told him a properly-maintained VS can go WAY more than that. Then I told him what it had cost new. THEN I told him what I paid for it...

I'm no HD-hater. In fact, I think some of 'em are purty indeed. Wouldn't own one (if I was gonna spend that kind of money, I'd go Indian), but it was definitely cool to have a confirmed "harley" guy liking the bike overtly and just keep saying "wow, that's really nice looking..." and "It cost HOW much?"

Everyone give yourself a pat on the back.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 09:12 PM

Garage
Great story cj, had similar experience last Sunday afternoon at a friends house. Most were HD owners, and I'm not a Harley hater, or pro Harley. Their bikes are very nice, yet they were eyeballing my 950t with the new fairing. Once they found how much I had in the bike including aftermarket parts, they looked at me and said, "my bike and all I have in it was twice that, great looking bike man" was their comments, so you're right, reach around and pat ourselves on the back !
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 06:47 AM

Good story! I agree. There is no better value, especially when compared to a Harley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 08:34 AM

Garage
I too have had several experiences like that. My Star is de-badged. It's got a ORK so even that little oil cover is gone. My wife's twin cousins both ride HDs and have bragged on my bike to others - even when I'm not around. It's an '05 with 18K miles and I paid $2K for it. For that kind of money, nobody can say it's a bad bike. I too am not a Harley hater and I have several friends that have some really nice customized Harleys. They look great and sound great but they really don't function any differently than my bike. I personally feel a lot of folks ride HD to show off or to impress others. May work, I'm just not that kind of guy. If I was to get another bike right now, it would be a Roadie. Yamaha has a great reputation and great bikes.

'05 V Star 1100 Silverado $2000
Jardine Rumblers Slash Cut Slip-ons $50
Ext. Depot Billet ORK $120
LED Daymaker Headlight from Amazon $59
LED Driving Lights attached to Stock Turn Signal Stems $29
SuperbrightLEDs High Power Brake LED w/ Brake Flasher $18
SuperbrightLEDs "Switchback" Front LED Bulbs $28
Unibar Engine Guard $35
Rear Fender Mini Luggage Rack $25
Throttle Assist $32
Cruising with the Wind in your Face - Priceless
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eruby View Post
I too have had several experiences like that. My Star is de-badged. It's got a ORK so even that little oil cover is gone. My wife's twin cousins both ride HDs and have bragged on my bike to others - even when I'm not around. It's an '05 with 18K miles and I paid $2K for it. For that kind of money, nobody can say it's a bad bike. I too am not a Harley hater and I have several friends that have some really nice customized Harleys. They look great and sound great but they really don't function any differently than my bike. I personally feel a lot of folks ride HD to show off or to impress others. May work, I'm just not that kind of guy. If I was to get another bike right now, it would be a Roadie. Yamaha has a great reputation and great bikes.
eruby -

Interestingly, my bike sounds very similar. De-badged except for the tank emblems. K&N Pods, so air filter assembly is gone. ORK so that cover's gone too. I'm not trying to 'hide' what the bike is, but all in all I think it ends up a cleaner look w/o those things

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 10:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
I'm not trying to 'hide' what the bike is, but all in all I think it ends up a cleaner look w/o those things
Yeah, another funny story. I had someone ribbing me about being de-badged. He was a friend and just having fun. Said it's de-badged so everyone will think it's a Harley. Another guy, which I did not know and did ride a Harley, overheard us and piped in. He said "If he owned a Harley, he'd make sure it had H-D on it. When you spend this much for old technology and a harsh ride, you make sure everybody knows what it is". I've never rode a Harley so I don't know what it's like. I really had to laugh at that but he's right. Unless it has a very custom paint job, just about every H-D I've seen has H-D on it. I bought mine de-badged and I agree I think it looks very clean.

Unibar Engine Guard $35
Throttle Assist $32
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 12:00 PM

Garage
My brother is in a motorcycle club that requires all its members ride an "American" bike but when I showed up at their clubhouse with my Yamaha they all commented on how nice it was. One of his buddies said that the look I have with my Yamaha is the look he's trying to get with his Harley.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 12:13 PM

Garage
There's a local bike club where I live that requires the same thing, meaning it has to be a Harley. After one of them invited me to join and found out I rode a yammy, he said he was sorry but it's not "American" made. After I showed him his bike wasn't 100% either, he said nevermind and walked away. Oh well, I love my yammy!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 12:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
There's a local bike club where I live that requires the same thing, meaning it has to be a Harley. After one of them invited me to join and found out I rode a yammy, he said he was sorry but it's not "American" made. After I showed him his bike wasn't 100% either, he said nevermind and walked away. Oh well, I love my yammy!
I heard H-D is partly owned by Honda and uses a lot of imported parts. I guy riding a really nice Indian Chief said you have to ride Indian if you want to ride American. I'm American true and blue and I don't mind spending more for quality if American and Quality are together. If I was willing to spend 50% more on a H-D, I would end up with a stripped down 1990 something Sporty which most Harley guys won't even accept.

Unibar Engine Guard $35
Throttle Assist $32
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eruby View Post
I heard H-D is partly owned by Honda and uses a lot of imported parts. I guy riding a really nice Indian Chief said you have to ride Indian if you want to ride American. I'm American true and blue and I don't mind spending more for quality if American and Quality are together. If I was willing to spend 50% more on a H-D, I would end up with a stripped down 1990 something Sporty which most Harley guys won't even accept.
I know a bunch of guys who -used- to work for Harley around here until they got laid off as more and more overseas parts and labor came into it. They would -love- to talk to someone about how Harleys are "murkin" bikes...

Not to mention, it's a public company; so the 'owners' may include Honda, Arabian oil sheiks, Russian oligarchs, dotcom-billionaire silicon valley whiz kids, etc.

For that matter, Polaris owns Indian, and they're a public company too. So same applies...

I too prefer to buy American & quality when I can. That's a lot easier to do with parts & accessories than with bikes. At least there are still some great gear & accessories companies that really are owned in, made in, sourced in the good ol' USA (and a couple more that are wholly Canadian, which is about as good in my book).

But I'm realistic about what "american" means these days. And the price/quality trade off is too often a big hurdle.

There was literally no HD in my budget range, even had I wanted it. Best I could find was $5K (double my budget) for an older sportster 883. And as you say, all that would do is have a lot of 'real' HD guys asking me why I was riding a 'girl's bike'... (a couple HD friends of mine said exactly that when I was considering it).

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode