Progressive rear spring? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Progressive rear spring?

I am thinking about putting in a progressive rear spring. I put Cobra Speedster Longs on my bike and now they tend to bottom out if I am going around a right hand turn with a passenger on and we hit a good bump. Already have the stock spring two clicks down from full so I think my only choice is a progressive one.
Anyone have any recommendations on them?
And did anyone do the install themselves?
did it make much deference in the ride?
Then Bike is a 2002 1100 custom
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 12:29 PM

Garage
I don't know if I can offer much help, but I just installed a progressive spring onto my 650 as part of a larger build. I haven't finished rebuilding the bike so I haven't test rode it yet. I got the shock with a lowering kit from pacificcoaststar.com. What I can say it is a bear to change out the eyelet on the top of the original shock. I had to cut mine off after a couple of hours trying everything else. And even then it was reluctant. After that, it was a breeze to put in, provided you have motorcycle spring clamps. I used auto to get the original off, but needed smaller cycle clamps to get new spring on.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

i've got a progressive spring on mine. had the shop install it that coated my pipes. makes a noticeable difference by smoothing out smaller bumps.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 07:54 AM

Are you referring to the entire set-up or just adding a progressive spring to the stock shock? From what I have heard others say (no personal experience) the swap to progressive was one of the best mods they had done to the bike.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 08:52 PM

If your bike has about 20,000 or more...it's time to replace the shock. A spring is a band aid that may get you by for a short time, but you'll have to live a worn out shock (some things a spring can't fix).

Put a Progressive 465 shock on it and you'll see what you've been missing. It's one of the best things I ever did to mine.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 11:28 AM

Garage
I agree with Sick Mick. If the shock is gone then a spring is a band-aid, especially if the bushings are worn. The spring swap is not that hard if you're careful. The eyelet swap was a bear but not necessary unless you're lowering the bike.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

got the progressive suspension 465 shock for Christmas. will have to get it in over the winter and see how it is next spring.
looking to get a bike jack to to help with the install.
will let you all know how it works out once done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode