High Rev only sometimes.... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

High Rev only sometimes....

I recently purchased a 2001 Yamaha XVS 650 classic and I'm having an issue with it where it will idle extremely high RPM's while riding but only sometimes. It seems as if though I have to let the bike idle down while slowing down almost to the point of it dying or else it will wrap out full rpm's if I just pull in the clutch. Now if I'm in first gear, then speed up in the second gear I can let off the throttle completely and drive down the road at 25 without touching it (again only sometimes)and if I go back into first it'll stay wrapped out, but if I go up a gear or into neutral then it will go back down to normal. What would cause this?

Here is a rundown of what I know about the bike. I bought it used and have had a few issues with it - my clutch cable isn't quite right no matter how I adjust it but I'm adapting to it. The carburetor has size 132 Jets put into it already (factory is 90) and it had a varnish / sandy substance in the carburetor. That has since been cleaned and I had a new needle put into it since I've gotten it. The gas tank was also dirty with varnish- that was cleaned out as well. For some reason there was a random screw in my tank that we found while cleaning it also. And the idle set screw has been modified so that you can reach it while riding... Some sort of extension was put on it. It has factory exhaust with the baffles removed and the factory air cleaner has been removed and K&N cleaners have been put on top of the carburetor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:27 PM
eGo

Possible that your choke is sticking, and I'm not very familiar with the 650, but those jets sound like they're WAY to big.. I only have a 115/112.5 in my 1100 and I have a full exhaust... Going to see if there's a 650 wiki like the 1100 and see what it says about rejetting..
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:36 PM
eGo

Little bit of info here :

http://650ccnd.com/theory.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:39 PM
eGo

And then I found this :

http://www.650ccnd.com/rejett.htm

I don't see 132 jets listed anywhere on this chart.. I have a feeling you may want to downsize some..
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

The jets that are in now say 132 on them. I have a kit from dynojet that are 90's. And as far as I can tell the choke is working flawlessly.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 05:32 AM

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 07:07 AM

Is the 132 jet a Mukini? If it's a different brand the numbers will be different. One way or the other I would say your problem is related to either the carb or fuel system. Jet your bike according to the info listed on the sites others recommended here. And I would recommend purchasing genuine mukini parts that way you know for certain you have the correct items.

When I first purchases my 1100 I had a similar issue. When ever I came to a stop it would remain at a very high idle until I shifted into neutral. This was so consistent I was convinced it was something electrical relater to the TPS. Took the bike to a local mechanic and he cleaned the carbs and the issue disappeared.

And that random screw in your tank was probably from the bottom side of the cap. They are notorious for coming apart. Look at the bottom of yours and make sure all three screws are in there.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo

Last edited by Summer; 06-17-2015 at 07:10 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 11:25 AM

Hello BRP. Is it possible your throttle cable may be hangin up? May wanna try runnin some lube through the cable. Just a thought since everything else was gummed up. Or check throttle linkage to see if maybe it's hangin.

Sonysnek
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so far ... I am going to try and also check those options and I'll let y'all know
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Well the screw was from the bottom of the fuel lid!! The throttle cable is free of all binding and the clutch is operating smooth! Still lost... Although I haven't jetted it smaller yet...ugh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode