clutch issue? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

clutch issue?

i may have a clutch issue. this just started Friday evening. if i accelerate too hard or twist the throttle too much, the RPM's will jump up but the power is not transferred to the pulley. this happens pretty much through any gear, but much moreso once i'm in the high gear. gears 1-4, i have to let off the throttle a tad during acceleration to avoid this, but once i shift into 5th gear, i lose a ton of acceleration. the effect is akin to me squeezing in the clutch lever. i can still accelerate, but only at a small pace or else the RPM's jump up like the clutch is being engaged while throttling up, then i have to let off the throttle to get it to stop, and ease it back up again to increase my speed.

i still have smooth shifting and don't hear any abnormal sounds, and the engine otherwise appears to be running just fine. this began immediately after I participated in the ROT rally bike parade. during the parade, i frequently revved up my engine for the onlookers by squeezing in the clutch and throttling on. then i would pop the clutch back to jump the bike forward. it's pretty fun, but probably the main cause for the issue that began that night. i don't normally do this to my bike; it's a once a year type of thing.

is this a clutch issue? are the plates slipping into place in-between gears? could it be just a simple adjustment/alignment to fix it?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 06:25 PM

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

thanks for the help, but it's not a clutch lever/cable issue. my issue is different from that post. i've got plenty of cable free play and the clutch has no problem engaging when the lever is pulled.

i've got 56K miles on this, so i wouldn't be surprised if it's just time for something to start to fail, but since this occurred right after what i was doing during the bike parade, i don't attribute it to just normal wear and tear.

on a steel horse I ride

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 07:19 AM

Maybe what you did in the parade was just the final straw on a problem waiting to expose itself.
I don't see how that would have caused any issues though. It would be different if you had been riding the friction zone for hours or something like that.
Definitely sounds like slippage though. If all your adjustments are correct then I would suggest have a professional look at it next.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 08:24 AM

Bevo, you might have just slicked the plates and burned your oil. Happens under identical circumstances you described. If the plate thickness is in spec along with the springs and cable adjustment you might just need to change the oil to a good 20W-50 V Twin oil. People have taken the clutch apart and sprayed with brake cleaner, soaked in corn meal, sand papered, etc. but when it happened to my KZ650 my dealer said to put in the 20W-50 V Twin dino oil it was fine shortly thereafter. Energy conserving oils are notorious for causing this but it can happen with non energy conserving oils too doing exactly what you were doing.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 08:28 AM

I think I would drain the oil into a clean container, so I could look at it for any sort of contamination or discoloration. It is possible you got things a bit hot between idling and goosing the engine in a parade. The clutch slippage (and that is just what your description sounds like) would have gotten the clutch hot, too. If you get really lucky an oil change might cure the problem. More likely, clutch work is in your near future.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 09:52 AM

What you're describing is exactly what I had... the clutch was slipping and was especially noticeable in higher gears. I tried changing the oil but in the end, I replaced the clutch and she was good as new.

Dan
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

i just replaced the oil with Amsoil 10w40 a couple months ago. i've been using the same stuff for years now. don't think it's the oil.

on a steel horse I ride

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 05:15 AM

you got to check the adjustment first, it can be off just a little to give you problems
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 08:14 AM
Lifetime Premium

Sounds like slippage to me. Maybe all the goosing. At 56k miles, I don't think the plates should be worn. Even on a car with a single dry plate, 56k isn't a whole lot.

I think, in a parade, your engine is already warmer than usual. Then goosing it might have caused the plates to glaze over. Super high heat, submerged in oil. Like a cast iron pan.

I'd drain it, smell the oil. Take off the cover and look at your plates. I'd assume you have enough 'meat' left, they're just glazed and not catching.

.:'09 Vstar 950T:.

VOTE for the BikeOfTheMonth It only takes a moment and you get to check out a bunch of great scoots! Participate all you rascals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode