Vingo Star - V Star 1100 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Vingo Star - V Star 1100

As much as I love my XS400, I've been wanting something a little bigger. But having three kids, I can't afford to buy one that is ready to ride. I came across a wrecked V Star 1100 on CL. It was pretty trashed, but the motor is still good, so I purchased it (site unseen) and had it shipped. I got it today and it looks like he let someone pick through it and take a bunch of parts off. I already knew someone took the front end, but I wasn't aware of everything else. It's missing quite a bit. I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew . . .

Necessity is the mother of invention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Not sure yet if the frame is straight, but someone cut the neck off and bought the title. Wondering if it would be better to find a titled frame or title this as "Special Construction". Anyone been through that process? I wanted to modify the frame anyway so if I did find another frame I would just be chopping it up. Also, having a 1 inch neck would give me a broader range of front end options. I would love to get a springer, but I can't afford a real one, so I would be limited to DNA (I know, I know) or Moto Iron.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 12:10 PM
eGo

You're missing quite a bit.. Biggest things I can see missing are the carbs and the CDI.. Also, looking at the picture going from front to back, it looks like the frame might be tweaked a little to the right hand side of the bike.. But I could be wrong..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

I think you're right about the frame. Any idea what a CDI costs?

I've always wanted to do a single carb on one of these after seeing Updtown Rob's V Star. That thing sounds amazing. Now I've got an excuse to make it happen.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 01:40 PM

Garage
Wow, this will be quite the build. Take plenty of pics and keep us updated on your progress. I will be interested in what you are planning to do with this.

'05 V Star 1100 Silverado $2000
Jardine Rumblers Slash Cut Slip-ons $50
Ext. Depot Billet ORK $120
LED Daymaker Headlight from Amazon $59
LED Driving Lights attached to Stock Turn Signal Stems $29
SuperbrightLEDs High Power Brake LED w/ Brake Flasher $18
SuperbrightLEDs "Switchback" Front LED Bulbs $28
Unibar Engine Guard $35
Rear Fender Mini Luggage Rack $25
Throttle Assist $32
Cruising with the Wind in your Face - Priceless
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 02:43 PM
eGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMainMuel View Post
I think you're right about the frame. Any idea what a CDI costs?

I've always wanted to do a single carb on one of these after seeing Updtown Rob's V Star. That thing sounds amazing. Now I've got an excuse to make it happen.
I'd love to go single carb myself, to be honest.. I just haven't got the scratch for it right now.. But, maybe tax time? lol

In regards to the CDI, just keep your eyes on eBay.. Dealer wants upwards of $700 for one. eBay they can be in the low $200s.. But, depending on what you're going to do, you might just go with a Dyna 3000 as I believe it replaces the CDI and it's about the same price for a new Dyna as it is for a used CDI..

GL!

eGo
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruby View Post
Wow, this will be quite the build. Take plenty of pics and keep us updated on your progress. I will be interested in what you are planning to do with this.
Will do! It looks cool in my head, but plans tend to change over time and money.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGo View Post
In regards to the CDI, just keep your eyes on eBay.. Dealer wants upwards of $700 for one. eBay they can be in the low $200s.. But, depending on what you're going to do, you might just go with a Dyna 3000 as I believe it replaces the CDI and it's about the same price for a new Dyna as it is for a used CDI..
Wow, that sucks. Any benefit to running the Dyna over the stock one?

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 04:00 PM

You're probably about $2+++ grand away from a working bike including parts/shipping etc. You've really got nothing useable but a motor and rear tire. The rest is junk.

If it was me, I'd take what I have and sell the pieces on Ebay to try to get my money back. You'll never get your money back out of it if you try to restore it.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

In order to finance this build, I need to finish and sell my XS400. I need to focus on that bike, but I keep finding myself sneeking outside to play on this one.

The rear subframe was too beat up to salvage, so I cut it off and did some vroomies in the driveway. Starting to dream . . .

If all goes to plan, when I fix the frame, I plan on doing a single tube backbone, 2-4 up, no out with about 35 degree rake.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode