Help please? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Help please?

Hey everyone i have an issue that i cant seem to solve. I have an 05 v star 1100 classic and im sure you all know what a pain in the butt it is to change the oil in those. I bought the bike a few weeks ago and it didnt leak to begin with, i changed the oil for the first time noticing that it obviously needed it. New fram filter, new o rings (all three), amsoil synthentic, the works. Well few days later i noticed a few drops leaking from under the filter cover (right around the little bolt o ring at the bottom). No biggie i suppose but sttill bothered me. So i replaced the filter and o rings with a new fram filter and rings. No leaks for about two days. Then i start it up and it starts leaking profusely! So i quickly tear it back apart to inspect the rings filter and surfaces find nothing wrong and no cracks in Anything! Everything put back together and while it leaks signifigantly less, it is still leaking. So i put two 6mm washers on each of the bolts to snug it down just a hair tighter and its still leaking. Where am i going wrong? What am i missing? Does the fatter o ring go on the back of the filter cover in the groove instead of the thin? Is there a compound i need to use on the orings to seal it better? Do the bolts absolutely NEED to be torqued? I even walked through putting everything back together over the phone with a local yamaha dealer and he says im doing everything right. Do i NEED to go to conventional oil? Is fram the wrong choice for filter? I ride almost everyday and this concerns me greatly. Thank you for your time! Please help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 07:48 AM

Garage
I don't believe it's the oil or the filter. When you say you replaced the O-rings, did you replace the small ring around the bottom bolt? There is a small o-ring that fits inside the bolt hole for the bottom oil filter cover bolt. Sometimes it falls out when taking the cover off.

'05 V Star 1100 Silverado $2000
Jardine Rumblers Slash Cut Slip-ons $50
Ext. Depot Billet ORK $120
LED Daymaker Headlight from Amazon $59
LED Driving Lights attached to Stock Turn Signal Stems $29
SuperbrightLEDs High Power Brake LED w/ Brake Flasher $18
SuperbrightLEDs "Switchback" Front LED Bulbs $28
Unibar Engine Guard $35
Rear Fender Mini Luggage Rack $25
Throttle Assist $32
Cruising with the Wind in your Face - Priceless
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

I have replaced that bolt o-ring twice now. it appears to be leaking from that bolt or around that bolt from the filter area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 09:08 AM

Go get a filter from NAPA. The last time I looked at the Fram, the O rings weren't the right size.

I never had a hassle changing oil in mine....it just takes doing it a couple times. To me it's no worse than crawling under a car to undo the drain plug....now THAT is a hassle.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 06-26-2015 at 09:10 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Mick! what brand would the one from napa be? or is it just a napa filter?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Never mind. NAPA answered my question. its a wix filter made for napa. Thanks again, I will try that out and update of its status.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
Go get a filter from NAPA. The last time I looked at the Fram, the O rings weren't the right size.

I never had a hassle changing oil in mine....it just takes doing it a couple times. To me it's no worse than crawling under a car to undo the drain plug....now THAT is a hassle.
I can confirm that the Fram oil filter I bought last fall had both an incorrect gasket for the oil filter cover and the oring for the drain plug. I ended up reusing the old ones.

Dan
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostVEMA View Post
Never mind. NAPA answered my question. its a wix filter made for napa. Thanks again, I will try that out and update of its status.
Exactly...I believe it's a part number 4935. It's a quality filter as well.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Alright so I got the new filter and already put it in my bike. cleaned the case and the bottom of the cover thoroughly. then I took the bike for a 15-25 mile ride. so far no leaks. residual left overs from the nooks and crannies around the crank case and cover heated and rolled off but none at the sight of the original leaks. so far so good! if any issues arise i'll update this thread with them. thank all of you for the advice and help!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 01:31 PM

Ghost, glad the others found the issue for you. By the time I noticed your post in the intro thread, looks like you got it solved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode